GU10's Keep blowing - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I have installed 3 bathroom downlights that had the sufficient IP rating and were for bathrooms.. they are on a normal switch but one of the lights GU10 bulbs keep blowing?

They are wired one off each other from the main socket..

Is it because of the bulbs I am using, or possibly a faulty downlight or something else?

Many thanks

:cry:

Sponsored Links
That's downlights for you, especially GU10s.

Have you covered the lights with insulation - they may be overheating?

12V ones usually last longer, but high running cost is a fact of tungsten halogen life.

yes so maybe thats the issue!! :LOL:

but it seems odd that they blow that quick i.e a few weeks..? and only on that one...

You cannot install halogen downlights and have trouble-free use and comply with all the relevant building and wiring regulations and luminaire installation requirements without incurring considerable effort and expense.

Remove all that insulation, build large plasterboard boxes over each luminaire (at least joist-width square and 150mm high) and then re-lay the insulation over the plasterboard boxes. Check all connections and make sure all are enclosed in suitable junction boxes (exposed choc-block is not good enough). If the same lamp still fails then replace that luminaire.

Then, continue until fed up. Re-board ceiling and have a nice, cheap, reliable fluorescent light instead. ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks dingbat..

Luckily can easily get at them so not to bad... but thanks for the advise much appreciated!

dingbat said:
You cannot install halogen downlights and have trouble-free use and comply with all the relevant building and wiring regulations and luminaire installation requirements without incurring considerable effort and expense.

That is a mild understatement

Remove all that insulation, build large plasterboard boxes over each luminaire (at least joist-width square and 150mm high) and then re-lay the insulation over the plasterboard boxes. Check all connections and make sure all are enclosed in suitable junction boxes (exposed choc-block is not good enough). If the same lamp still fails then replace that luminaire.

And fit a small fan to circulate cooling air around the lamp. This method is used in some industrial lamp housings to reduce lamp failure.

Then, continue until fed up. Re-board ceiling and have a nice, cheap, reliable fluorescent light instead. ;)

Fit humidity proof loudspeakers in the holes and enjoy surround sound

Do PC fans run on AC or DC 12 volts? If you have ELV lights, depending on the Tx type, a PC fan could be a good idea :LOL:

Crafty said:
Do PC fans run on AC or DC 12 volts? If you have ELV lights, depending on the Tx type, a PC fan could be a good idea :LOL:

12 volt DC fan 80 x 80 mm

sunon KD1208PKB1.13.(2)

RS components stock number 468 5447

Fit it to blow cold air into the base of the cavity around the lamp with an exit hole at the top of the cavity. ( keeps the fan cool and extends its life )

seems like a lot of extra work just to keep lights cool. Also, if there was a fire, would the fan aggravate and make it worse or would it help to blow out the flames?? Hmmm !!!

What about the extra Carbon emmissions and helping to save the planet etc.
It will also increase your elec bill.

ppuch1 said:
seems like a lot of extra work just to keep lights cool. Also, if there was a fire, would the fan aggravate and make it worse or would it help to blow out the flames?? Hmmm !!!

Many fires start when cooling fans fails ( or are switched off ) and the item it was cooling overheats and ignites.

very true, but it does seem like overkill for a domestic situation.

Interesting that you say they are sometimes used in Industrial fittings. I have not seen any in the commercial environment...yet

Back to the original question though...

When fitting T/Halogen lamps you should still observe handling instructions i.e. do not touch them with bare hands - as this is said to shorten their life.
I think that 12v ones have a shorter life than GU's

ppuch1 said:
What about the extra Carbon emmissions and helping to save the planet etc.
It will also increase your elec bill.
are you talking about from the GU10's or a 12 v pc fan? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back