Guns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In light of yesterdays massacre in the US, what do you all think about the gun laws in the US and here in the UK?

Personally I think it's ridiculous to allow the wider population easy access to guns. I know our anti-gun laws don't exactly prevent access to guns but we're not on the same scale as America. I think maybe our gun laws with Americas punishment system (3 strikes etc) might be a good combination.

Tricky one :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ban all guns.
Simple.
Just heard some American commenting on the radio: you have to have a gun to protect innocent people.

Yes, sure. Who's telling me that any person with a gun has this to protect innocent people?

Ban all guns, then all people are protected from freaks, frustrated, stupid and crazy others.

Ban all guns, what are they designed to do?
(I heard one guy say on the news this morning that guns are banned on campus and that if that wasnt the case it may not have happened cos they could have defended themselves) :confused:

Like the US, we have some criminals, some violent people, and some who are deranged.

Unlike the US, most of these people don't have access to guns, so they are less able to murder large numbers of people quickly and easily.

You often hear that US citizens' right to bear arms is enshrined in the constitution, but you seldom hear the preceding words "A well-regulated militia..." which seems to me to indicate that the writers were thinking that the arms would be held by the National Guard or equivalent to protect the nation in the event of an attack by, for example, the English.

" A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

The "well regulated militia" probably would not include a bunch of murderous high school students.

However, there are fewer bereaved parents than there are voters who like guns.

Sponsored Links
You have to make it hard for the criminal to get hold of guns.It's too easy for criminals,in fact,anyone to get hold of guns.We have already laws in place about fire arms,but without the proper resources to combat this crime,it will keep on rising.

Richardp said:
Ban all guns, what are they designed to do?
(I heard one guy say on the news this morning that guns are banned on campus and that if that wasnt the case it may not have happened cos they could have defended themselves) :confused:

Guns in the hands of un-trained people in a panic would cause more injury and death from stray bullets.

It's not the guns that are the problem.

It's the bullets that do the harm!

Ban bullets.

The Septics get to 'bear their arms' and no-one gets hurt!

Simple really. :D

The second amendment 1791 indeed states

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It does not mention or even imply firearms In 1791 Arms were probably at their fiercest would be a musket or flintlock, the revolver being some way away, a little different from a 9mm Uzi or an M16 assault rifle. To many in 1791 arms would have meant swords and cudgels.

To anyone who says the reason for carrying a weapon is protect yourself, well all I can say is that there are at least 30 people today who cannot unfortunately testify to such tripe.

It said on the radio today that 80 people a day are killed by guns in the USA, that's surley a good enough reason to ban the sale of the to anyone over the age of 18 (or 16 with Mom and Pop's permission, cute)

Tim 77 said:
...that's surley a good enough reason to ban the sale of the to anyone over the age of 18 (or 16 with Mom and Pop's permission, cute)
You seem to be saying that gun's shouldn't be available to over 18's. Does that mean that they should be freely available to the under 18's? ;)

It's the logistics of controlling the public ownership of guns that is the hurdle here.
It's going to be nigh on impossible controlling who has and who doesn't have guns, due to stockpiling of ammunition, guns in public hands will be potentially lethal for the near future.

Once the can of worms has been opened.

Just to play devil's advocate, Switzerland has one of the highest per capita firearm capacities in the world. All males aged 20 to 42 are required by militia system regulation to keep a rifle and/or pistol at home. There have been no school massacres in Switzerland.

Once the can of worms has been opened.

that's the thing though.....it's been opened for quite some time. It's quite the sore point over here. No one seems to give a toss until something like this happens....and it always does. And it will again and again....it's the down side of the argument. Not exactly like legalizing marajuana.....but when that topic comes up....it's always the same...everything has a starting point...and it has to play out. As far as the US is concerned....pick your topic of controversy...there will always be one. Before I say that it's no different here than there...I have to remind myself, that it probably is. It's bigger, has more people so more issues. Guns are part of the culture here. It's just the way it is.....and if you get a bug up your butt....what easier way to get in the last word.....THAT's the problem.....they are too easily obtained.
....then there's also the other side of the coin....there is a lower morality now than there was lets say 20...30 years ago...children are bein raised by children who never were taught right from wrong....accountability, responsibility....respect for another person. If it werent guns....it would be something else.

NickStone said:
Just to play devil's advocate, Switzerland has one of the highest per capita firearm capacities in the world. All males aged 20 to 42 are required by militia system regulation to keep a rifle and/or pistol at home. There have been no school massacres in Switzerland.

I blame rap music...

Sponsored Links
Back