Guns

I'm with you WYL - 100% as far as I can see.

Leaving aside the nutters (to describe them unkindly), who might find worse alternatives to massacre-by-rifle, legalising guns and selling them readily makes it easy for ordinary people, and ordinary criminals, to have them and use them.

Sponsored Links
Sadly many countries including the UK do not treat the body as a whole, once the body is fighting an infection that is depleting the immune system the brain will eventually malfunction in many ways that are very harmful to others.

I’ve thought a lot about posting this due to possible insults from members who choose to ridicule a persons ability with out thinking out of the box..

In 2005 I was mentally ill and my life through my eyes became 3 dimensional.

I wanted to put an end to my families’ life so they would not have to suffer the utter dread that I was carrying and the feeling of dread that my family would eventually go through this them selves.

The ideal I could save them from this by killing them was 1 evening of horror while I stayed in bed desperate to regain some solidity for my thoughts to stand on.

I had been suicidal since 8 years of age along with self hatred; the rage this builds over the years is dangerous. (cont)

I could write a book on where my mind has been and options it has talked itself into, and options I have had to talk my self out of, its an exhausting place to be and it grows continuously until it takes up every second of your day and night.

When I was at my worst there was no place to phone, no place can you walk into, and the most you are offered is a variety of medication at the instant you openly admit your mental state.

These tablets made my situation worse, and almost killed me.

I did not recover to a better place until I had lost part of my memory, the use of my pelvis both of which I was told by physiatrists I wished to be ill, or it was my bodies reaction to my depression , where it was actually my minds reaction to my bodies state. ( cont)

I was treated for Lyme disease and the suicidal thinking stopped within the first week. I no longer have violent rages; I am getting some normality back and my brain is healing slowly..

But the biggest wound is the active encouraged ignorance of professionals who agree to ignore a disease that is wide spread and places a threat to others lives.

I am not saying all mentally ill people have neurological infections but I have to wonder how many people who kill do have. All I was prescribed to recover was antibiotics so simple but yet in no ones mind to try it (end)

Sponsored Links
It's very courageous of you to post this, Odd Job, and you can only be admired for it, and for what you've been through and survived.

Softus said:
It's very courageous of you to post this

Thankyou although I do see it as necessity, nothing will change with out words.
Sadly as long as people are labeled.. singled out..pushed away or made to feel inadequate, it only enforces their lack of self esteem and encourages the self hatred of failure.

WoodYouLike said:
Why do they, in the USA, sell guns 10 yards away from where baby cloths are sold? Too easy access to guns = gun crime atrocities bound to happen = ban all guns NOW to prevent gun crime atrocities.

Funnily enough, they don't sell handguns in the UK (or semi-automatic wepaons either). They sell rimfire rifles, centrefire rifles and shotguns... funny how the recent fatal shootings we've seen on the news have all been handgun or semi-auto weapons...

Banning guns is not the answer - it is a knee jerk reaction.

If a person beats someone to death with a hammer and cuts them up with a saw do we ban all tools?

If someone gets stabbed are we going to ban all knives and buy our food pre-sliced?

Guy on the news rammed somebody with his car and then drove back and forth seventeen times - ban all Vectras? Vauxhalls? Cars?

The implement used is not the problem, it is the individual (or maybe the system).

There seems to be a recurring theme where people go on killing spree's (whatever the weapon) - they had "mental problems". Why weren't they given the help they so desperately needed rather than rubber stamped, asked to take some tablets and then kicked into the community to fend for themselves with minimal assistance?

Not just a problem in the US- current mental health care provisions consistently lets down those who need help - another part of our "great NHS" that is now costing the taxpayer more than it ever has (and they're not spending the money on wards, nurses, cleaning, pastoral care, assesment, supervision, maintenance...)

Regulation and licensing has a good level of success (although Dunblane demonstrated it is not infallible) In the UK stringent checks and assesments are carried out BEFORE you can get a firearms certificate. You need an FAC (or shotguncertificate ) to purchase guns or ammo - not just a driving licence or a copy of your utility bill. Firearms must be stored in an approved safe - not in a shoebox or bedside table where your kids can find it.
Firearms licencing also limits the number of rifles and ammo you can own dependent on personal circumstances and necessity - nice to see Virginia state laws limits you to the purchase of only twelve guns per year and unlimited ammo.

/Rant over

Hi odd job,the thing I find in life,some people have to put someone down to make them feel big.Non of as are perfect;we all have faults.
I do hate to see someone trying ;then you get someone jumping down his throat if he does it wrong.
Everyone of us have made mistakes ,and will in the future make mistakes. That is how we learn.
I wish you all the best odd job.

BoxBasher said:
WoodYouLike said:
another part of our "great NHS" that is now costing the taxpayer more than it ever has

Its a vicious circle the people that need the help if they where treated correctly many would become tax payers. I can not see a better reason to invest. :(

Odd Job said:
Its a vicious circle the people that need the help if they where treated correctly many would become tax payers. I can not see a better reason to invest. :(
Exactly, from your earlier post I see you have been on the receiving end of a gross failure of "the system" that should (and could) have helped you properly a long time previously

Odd Job said:
I wanted to put an end to my families’ life so they would not have to suffer the utter dread that I was carrying and the feeling of dread that my family would eventually go through this them selves.
Dark thoughts - and if actioned then terrible consequences. It is never the ones who were in a position to help or stop who are held to account though... always the perpetrator.

rommy said:
Hi odd job,the thing I find in life,some people have to put someone down to make them feel big.

yeap be it gun or word they will do thier best to make you fall.

BoxBasher said:
WoodYouLike said:
Why do they, in the USA, sell guns 10 yards away from where baby cloths are sold? Too easy access to guns = gun crime atrocities bound to happen = ban all guns NOW to prevent gun crime atrocities.

Banning guns is not the answer - it is a knee jerk reaction.

If a person beats someone to death with a hammer and cuts them up with a saw do we ban all tools?..............

It is part of the answer, like placing traffic lights on pedestrian crossings to prevent crazy drivers 'running-wild'.

Easy access = easy wrong use.

But indeed, only part of the answer, but you have to START somewhere, not?

Cartoon385x279_158583a.jpg

:D

I spent some time with a family from south africa who advised if they had not carried guns in their glove compartments on 3 occasions they would now be dead.

I don't see the UK or the USA being any different in the future, i feel unprotected, i am not allowed to protect my self when necessary or protect my property and this threat is going to increase.

So sadly with some cases you would have to take away the threat that makes the necessity for the guns, before you can take away the only protection some have.

If governments do nothing to protect people, people will protect them selves and guns will continue to be sold.

What ! Soth Ofrika dangerous? That's called freedom.
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Back