Gurgling bath in block of flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live on the first floor of a four storey block of flats.

My bath plug hole regularly gurgles (approximately once a day). Water doesn't comes up into the bath though I can see it bubbling away just below and it is often accompanied by a bad smell.

Is this likely to be a problem that I (well a plumber!) can address myself by unblocking the immediate pipe? Or is it likely to be something the building management need to address as it is about wider pipe work in the building? The freehold company are useless and very slow so I am hoping it is something I could sort rather than involving them (and waiting months!).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the waste pipework may have been installed incorrectly and water that is evacuating from a shared system. This is pulling the water plug/seal from your trap. This will cause a gurgling type noise and when the seal on the trap is broke, this will then allow foul smells to enter via the trap.

Last edited:
I would also get the drains checked. Sounds to me like there may be a partial blockage downstream, and thus when water is discharged elsewhere in the building, it is causing the system to pressurise, hence the gurgling and smell. (Which is probably foul air from the drains being forced back through your bath waste.) You are first floor, i.e. above the ground floor I am assuming?

Agree with Hugh above... Appears that foul air is getting pushed towards your bath waste, rather than pulled from it. This means it's unlikely you'll be able to resolve it within your demise! Downstream services need to be checked and air admittance upstream (ie flats above you need vents looking at!

Sponsored Links
Hugh, yes there is one floor below me.

Thanks all! I will write a letter to the building management about getting the drains looked at and start the process.

Might be less awkward than getting a management co. to do anything.:whistle:

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your answers before. I finally got my management company to have the drains cleaned from the outside and it completely flooded my bathroom with filthy water. As I wasn't told it was happening and wasn't in when it happened it has left quite a mess of my bathroom. The management company are claiming that it only flooded because of a problem with the way my plumber did works when I had a new bath, shower and toilet fitted last year. The gurgling problem existed before I refurbished my flat so I think this sounds like excuses! What do you think? I have asked for more details on why exactly they think this flooding is due to my plumber's work but don't have any details so far. Your help is much appreciated!

How did they clean the drains? Internal flooding can be caused by a blowback when high pressure water jetting is used to clean sewers.

I cannot see how the way the appliances were fitted could cause an issue suddenly, especially if you weren't even using any of them at the time. Can you photos up of the mess? Still sounds to me though like a blowback, which is down to the drainage company that have done the work, they should be insured for this type of eventuality!

IMG_0319.JPG
Thanks Hugo, that is what I suspected.

I just have one photo which I have hopefully uploaded.

FFS: it even made it to the basin! Or is the mess in there due to an attempt at clean up on your part?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back