Halogens on 1mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just fitted 5 x 240v halogen and 9 x 12v halogen off a new MCB in the consumer unit. They are all 50W. The 12v ones are all on separte transfoirmers. This is run in 1.0mm cable and I am failrly confident this is within the loading of the cable ie 14 x 50 = 700W so about 3A. However I am worried I should have wired it all in 1.5mm.
Should I be worried? From the CU it is approx 10M to the first light.
I could run in a length of 1.5mm to the first jundtion box but dont want to do this unless really necessary.

Sponsored Links
simonig10 said:
Hi, I have just fitted 5 x 240v halogen and 9 x 12v halogen off a new MCB in the consumer unit. They are all 50W. The 12v ones are all on separte transfoirmers. This is run in 1.0mm cable and I am failrly confident this is within the loading of the cable ie 14 x 50 = 700W so about 3A. However I am worried I should have wired it all in 1.5mm.
I could run in a length of 1.5mm to the first jundtion box but dont want to do this unless really necessary.

1mm is fine on a 6A MCB

andy said:
simonig10 said:

1mm is fine on a 6A MCB

Many thanks....that saves me a job at the weekend. Incidentally I am reading a lot about 240v halogens having shortened lives using dimmers. I have bought a special electronic dimmer and bulbs that say they are suitable for dimming. Will they still have shortened lives??

Sponsored Links
I would worry more about the other way round - that the GU10's could shorten the life of the dimmer. If the lamps are not fused, the possibility is that when they blow, they take out the dimmer as well.

MK dimmers used to have a 3A fuse in them, but no longer - the warning is in the instructions - don't use unfused lamps with this dimmer or damage could result!

My customer wanted me to install an MK dimmer on a 300W TH pendant fitting, and I had to get him to sign a disclaimer stating that if the linear lamp toasted the dimmer, I would not be held responsible. Even the best quality linear TH lamps are not fused.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back