Handbrake ratchet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I was learning to drive, I was taught to press the handbrake button when pulling the handbrake on. Reason being, it really isn't any extra effort and it should increase the life of the ratchet.

However, most drivers seem to yank it on without doing this (next time you pull up at a long set of lights, listen for all the ratchets clicking!)

Just wondering if anyone could offer some insight as to whether or not using the button offers any advantage over the yank method (other than in the obvious case of fly-off style rally handbrakes)?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you will wear out the 'pawl' (I think it's called) if you repeatedly operate the handbrake without pressing the button.

Trouble is I bet they are teaching new drivers to just apply without because of one case where the handbrake didn't engage properly! (I don't know this I'm just guessing!)

Let's face it, people don't care about their cars like they used to, I bet their are people out there that have never had to MOT a car! Lucky do-dars! So are not concerned about long term care.

We live in a disposable world, which is a terrible shame, but then again prices are far cheaper than they were. Can't have it all ways I guess :rolleyes:

Guess it depends how quickly you apply the brake, some mechanical sympathy leads to careful application of controls.

Just peered at my handbrake 'ratchet' teeth at 60kM, look like new, clearly defined peaks and troughs .... By observation, the working serrations look no different then those, unused, at the ratchet extremities.
Times have changed, materials at the wear points are generally better today !

P

Yes, I too press my knob before releasing. Can't believe I've just written that.......!

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Yes, I too press my knob before releasing. Can't believe I've just written that.......!

We talking getting it on .... We all have to press the tit to get 'em off, I cannot believe you had written that either .....

Note to the casual viwer :- Talking handbrakes here, to press the button or not to press, preserve or not preserve the ratchet serrations !!

P

Well you'd be hard pressed to release the handbrake without the button! :LOL:

What I meant was, when pulling it on. Personally, I always like to press my button before yanking my handle upwards.

AdamW said:
Well you'd be hard pressed to release the handbrake without the button! :LOL:... .

Och aye laddie, did I nah sae tha' ? :eek:

We talking getting it on (the brake) .... We all have to press the tit (button) to get 'em (brakes) off

Do have a splendiforous day ;)

P

Look at the posting times, only 2 minutes apart. Which could be a mere 61 seconds really.

I was typing my reply, you hacked into my PC and thought "AHA! I will copy his response!" and posted just before me.

Next time pipme, next time! :D

Yes, Adam.

My brain was leaping ahead of itself tring to get a double entendre into the post, and I meant to say "applying", not releasing. But then the DE would not have worked, you see?

Your double entendres have warped my fragile mind, gaaaaagh!

Still, one of my favourite parts of brakes is that they automatically adjust the tightness of their grip to account for wear :rolleyes:

AdamW said:
Your double entendres have warped my fragile mind, gaaaaagh!

Still, one of my favourite parts of brakes is that they automatically adjust the tightness of their grip to account for wear :rolleyes:

I think I need a fluid flush!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But if you pump frantically and nothing happens you have to replenish the fluid in your pipes.

Sponsored Links
Back