Hang radiator on aerated block wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to just drill out and glue in some dowel, nice and deep.

Rad (1200x400 4000btu) will go below window, is that a good idea? Are aerated block walls prone to cracking if you hang a rad on them?

Thank y'all kindly.

Dain

Sponsored Links
I was going to just drill out and glue in some dowel, nice and deep.

Rad (1200x400 4000btu) will go below window, is that a good idea? Are aerated block walls prone to cracking if you hang a rad on them?

Thank y'all kindly.

Dain
There are fixings available for all sorts of material, plasterboard (cavity fixings), through to solid stuff like brick or concrete. About 40 years ago I hung shelf brackets to an aerated block wall (bare, in a garage) using 2" No. 10 woodscrews straight in, no plugs. Lasted years till converted the garage to a bedroom. That was Celcon blocks, didn't find Thermalite was as good, but things might have changed.
Don't make a DIYers common mistake when mounting to a wall with 12-15mm cement render plus 3mm plaster, of using a plug about 25mm long and tapping in till it's level with the surface. The plug needs to be in something firm, with screw length to suit.

Looks like screwing straight in with a wood screw holds really well! Although the guy is a bit of a disaster...

Last edited:
Looks like screwing straight in with a wood screw holds really well! Although the guy is a bit of a disaster...
Is that an Australian comedy turn?

Woodscrews straight in seemed to give best results. Modern fully-threaded woodscrews probably better than the ones I used. If the OP wants to do that, I would suggest doing a couple of tests in a different place, to get the pilot hole dia just right. Should be OK, the load is moderate and nearly all in shear, not pull-out.

Sponsored Links
Actually, that reminds me..

I have fired a couple of 90mm drywall screws in to aerated blocks before now, to support mirrors etc, they have really wide threads and, with a short pilot hole, that sort of depth really does get a good key.

They are quite tensile, I'll see how difficult it is to shear one. Failing that it's back to a deep dowel, glued in, with a long screw

Thanks for the nudge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back