Hanging a light fitting from structural beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

not sure if I'm posting this in the right category...

I want to add a small chandelier type light fitting to hang in the centre of the room. There has never been a light fitting there so there are no cables existing. It is a very old house with exposed wooden structural beams and annoyingly there is a large beam running across the centre of the room crossing exactly where I want to hang fitting from. I am not sure about the best way to tackle this job!?

I have attached some photos so you can get an idea of the situation. You can see there is a small hook that the previous owners have screwed in exactly where I want to hang the light.

Is it safe to drill a small (but it'd have to be deep) hole vertically through the beam and feed a cable through from above? Or should I just have the wire going round the outside of the beam and into the ceiling through the plasterboard at the side? - if so would it not look strange with a ceiling pendant placed off to one side - so how would you do it?

It'd be great to hear your thoughts - many thanks!
2dr7wo3.jpg

10mu32o.jpg

Sponsored Links
I personally think that a small hole drilled vertically through the beam would be acceptable. A hole that would take 1 mm² twin and earth would not significantly weaken the beam but using smaller cable with suitable fusing down would be better for the beam.

I would also imagine drilling a small hole wouldn't weaken the beam. Although if you did want to go around the beam, you can get decoratively coloured flex cable, bronze or brown maybe?

I'd have decorative flex running from a small fitting on the plastered ceiling I think. Prevents some idiot from banging a nail into the beam in future without thinking that there may be a cable within.

Sponsored Links
Is it safe to drill a small (but it'd have to be deep) hole vertically through the beam and feed a cable through from above? Or should I just have the wire going round the outside of the beam and into the ceiling through the plasterboard at the side? - if so would it not look strange with a ceiling pendant placed off to one side - so how would you do it?
2dr7wo3.jpg

10mu32o.jpg

If that is an old oak beam then good luck in drilling a long hole through it.

I would bring MICC down the side of the beam and tight bend into a conduit box on the underside of the beam and mount the chandelier to that with a chain hook plate.

Structurally I can't see an issue with a small hole drilled drilled vertically through the depth of the beam.

My father has a similar setup in his dining room. He had a removable ceiling rose fitted to one side of the beam (on the plasterboard) with a supply cable looping to the chandelier. The chandelier then hangs from the metal eyelet (as in your picture).

The advantage to this arrangement is that the chandelier can easily be taken down for cleaning.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/LDMC11C.JPG

Buy TWO small chandeliers, and fit either side of the beam, centre of each plastered section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back