Hanging a narrow gate

Sponsored Links
The skinny gate (gonna open towards the camera)-
20221101_112535.jpg

Sponsored Links
Maybe the photo, but - It doesn't look as if the hinges are positioned to actually work.
It's got one of those natty opening restrictions built in; so long as the hinges are screwed on with the pivot not quite touching the 4x2 it'll just about open to 90 degrees before it starts riving itself apart.

That's just what one needs when fitting a gate to the narrowest opening known to man; to make sure it stops 30 degrees short of where you'd expect it to to give reasonable access, and bounces back smacking you in the face as you try to pass

Security feature; forensics can identify the blood

How long do you think the hinges will last outside?

Another bit of light relief from Keitai to brighten up a dark autumn evening!
[Still not convinced this isn't a wind-up].

to be honest i would have planned the post to the outside face [round the corner]and perhaps stepped back about 4 inch so when the gate is attached and open the gate'post and handles would not impinge[interfere with] into the opening

to be honest i would have planned the post to the outside face [round the corner]and perhaps stepped back about 4 inch so when the gate is attached and open the gate'post and handles would not impinge[interfere with] into the opening
The gate's too small. He wants the 4 x 2 on wall facing the camera (to the right). The gap is narrow enough. Need to get 50mm added on. And will those hinges allow it open more than 90 degrees? I'll take it back to joinery, see if I can get them to sort it.
20221102_094645.jpg
View attachment 284413View attachment 284413View attachment 284413

Last edited:
the trouble you have with those hinges fully open you have the full thickness off the gate in the opening
iff you use hoop and band hinges you can put the pivot point half way across the face off the post and the gate will be out off the way when open

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back