Hanging doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong. Replacing some panel does with oak ones at home.
I Cut to size. Take it to the frame/lining..wedge it up, make sure I’ve for my gap 2p ish all the way round. Mark and fit my hinges but when I attach to frame but it doesn’t close. First one was fine but the last two I’ve had to plane to get to close. The gap at the hinge side is bigger with the hinges on than it was when I marked it up. Can some give me a ideas what I’m doing wrong cheers.

Sponsored Links
I’ve made them flush with the frame. Should I make them deeper?

in this example hinge, you'll notice that when closed, there is a gap between the two leaves

s-l1600.png

It sounds like you need to increase the hinge rebate.

Sponsored Links
Many modern thick (i.e. fire door) hinges require a 3mm gap all round between the door and frame/casing/lining. This is to accommodate intumescent/brush strips. If your gap is 2mm then you need to sink the hinges a wee bit more

yes, the one in my pic was a modern fire hinge. We had to rebate them more than usual.

Can some give me a ideas what I’m doing wrong cheers.
Check the hinge side rebate of the door casing and the angle of planing on the door - hinge side too. Either can cause binding pushing etc of the angles are contradictory.

Last edited:
Did you check frame is parallel all the way down , often slight warp .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back