Hanging small LCD on plaster board wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Dry lined walls as far as im aware and I want to stick a 16" LCD up on one of those tilt arm brackets.

Been looking at these on screwfix after reading stuff on AV Forums and people using them to hang big dirty plasmas with.

Only thing im a bit stumped with is the setting tool, and how you use it.

Only done really basic stuff so far like bog roll holders, towel rails, curtain poles etc. There's a few holes still in the plasterboard as well lol

Any advice greatly apprecited![/url]

Sponsored Links
These are called hollow wall anchors and they work very well. Basically the thin straps along the body collapse as the fitting is tightened, and there is a barb on the face of the thing that digs into the drywall to prevent it rotating. You dont need a setting tool, which grips the head and collapses the fitting as you squeeze the handle - a screwdriver works fine. However - drill exactly the hole size required, and ascertain that there is enough depth within the wall to accept the fitting. Also, choose an anchor that is specifically designed for your thickness of wall - a fitting made for a thicker wall won't collapse enough to grip if your wall is thinner, if you catch my drift. You need to find out if your walls are actually dry lined rather than just plaster coated first though - drill a small hole with a masonry bit to find out.

I wouldnt know if they were dry lined to be honest. Im just going on what people have said when they have been in here.

Ive put a couple of holes in the walls so far using those self drive corkscrewy plasterboard fixings and the walls seem as though they are just an mdf board with a finish on then painted...

Pop down and put the telly up for us mate im only near Whitley Bay lol

I hung our 19" LCD on our bedroom plasterboard stud wall. Thankfully, in the exact centre of the wall there was a stud, so I just fixed the bracket with 2 coach screws into the wooden stud.

Sponsored Links
I wonder how many of those 'dirty big plasmas' will be falling off the wall in the coming years.

I feel safer using the following method: find the stud centres and mark them. Cut a piece of blockboard to a suitable size and screw this securely to the studs. (Finish the blockboard with paint, or whatever you need to suit the decor.) Fix the TV bracket to the blockboard; if possible, arrange it so that some of the fixing screws for the bracket go through into the studs, but if that's not possible it's not important. Hang the TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back