Hardcore for new driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we're having a new driveway installed and the hardcore being used looks like soil with stones in it - is this normal? It certainly does not resemble type 1 hardcore. Cheers.

DSC02832.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well it's just about as helpful as you feeling the need to correct my typing mistake. I didn't think that was necessary to the conversation. You have come on here for help, so to make someone feel stupid because they accidentally missed a word out was not needed.

Andy

I wasn't sure if you meant something else, which is why I corrected the question to confirm, I was not trying to make you feel stupid.

I apologise if I have misread you then. If you had said "did you mean to say 'do they have an accent'" it would have been clearer. I'm always happy to help and from your photo I can see they are not doing a good job of your driveway.

Do the workers have accents? Were they recommended to you? Have you seen their other work? If you could stand back and take photos of the whole area that would also help.

But I would say that if they lay your driveway on what you have sent in that photo, it will move fairly quickly.

Andy

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Do the workers have accents? All bar one so far, and he wasn't here today.

Were they recommended to you? No, but 9.85 on checkatrade and good website full of videos of projects.

Have you seen their other work? No.

It's a 250sqm drive, you can imagine the price. I just need to clarify what the 'hardcore' being used is good enough. It literally is soil with a small % of stones, nothing like type 1.

DSC02833.jpg

DSC02837.jpg

9.85 on checkatrade
Seems legit.

You have had a big pile of dirt delivered - the cheapest thing they could get hold of by all accounts. It may look great for the insta photo and the checkatrade rating, but you'll see the consequences in a few years.

BTW, has your posse mentioned planning permission and drainage?

Is what what it literally is, dirt? Not even a hardcore-name attached? The dumper trucks delivered it before scooping the old rubble away at the same time.

The drive is on a slope so drainage goes into the lawn and road drains - as before when tarmacked.

Nothing re planning permission, didn't think it needed it?

Vegasgo,
As others have said - that all looks bad.
And your drive is NOT allowed to drain onto a pavement - have to put in channel drain and soakaway.

Sorry.

This is great site to ensure you are forewarned and forarmed - it talks about thickness of MOT needed, issues, drainage, etc.

This page shows what MOT should look like:
https://www.pavingexpert.com/subbase

And step by step block paving construction <<< not clear if that is what you are having, but they also describe other drive materials:
https://www.pavingexpert.com/bpvseq01
SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back