Harmony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can some one tell me ,why was the colours of uk electric cables changed.
Please dont reply saying its easier for johnny foreigner to work in uk or it was john presscott.
Any TRUE reply welcomed.

Sponsored Links
european harmonisation.

while allowing electricians to more easilly move arround the EU is certainly considered an advantage by eurocrats, afaict the main reason for the colors was to bring down barriers to trade in electrical goods. Fixed wiring was meant to change soon after flex (having different colors for flex and fixed wiring isn't the most sensible of ideas) but we brits dragged our heels for several decades before finally being forced to comply.

kier said:
Please dont reply saying its easier for johnny foreigner to work in uk

OK I won't say that, but thats the reason.

No really it is so that all of europe use the same standard colours so that the trades can work in each others countries, and so that imported / exported appliances / equipment all use the same colours. Also we all live in the united states of europe so we have to do what brussels say.

thanks for replys....
....the words Hell in a hand cart....come to mind.
........So whats next from europe.

Sponsored Links
Total harmonisation doesn't ever seem a likely prospect, plugs and all that...

30 years ago, new cable colours didn't seem a likely prospect. The way things are going I give euro sockets 6 months :eek:

hopefully it won't be too long before they redesign the shuttering and protection arrangements to take europlugs as well as british plugs.

the earthed and/or high current european plugs are more difficult though, sockets wise schuko is beccoming the most common type with french probablly second and plugs are made that fit both those types, but there doesn't seem to be any smooth transistion mechanism availible from the british plug to those types.

kier said:
Something about johnny foreigner
WTF?

Just so that we know, by what derogatory term would you like to be known by people outside the UK?

RF Lighting said:
30 years ago, new cable colours didn't seem a likely prospect. The way things are going I give euro sockets 6 months :eek:

Way things are going there'll be few using electric, couple more years of price rises and power costs will quite neatly replace car costs of today.
:eek:

Softus said:
kier said:
Something about johnny foreigner
WTF?

Just so that we know, by what derogatory term would you like to be known by people outside the UK?

Please change the "we" to "I" as you don’t speak for all of us. Some of us are more interested in the post than your political correctness.

And seeing as you jumped in, what’s your view on the subject of harmonisation?

So how long before we chuck the old ring final out the window then?

kier said:
Please dont reply saying its easier for johnny foreigner to work in uk or it was john presscott.
Any TRUE reply welcomed.

I think the cable manufactures were also pushing for change because they were producing both UK and EU coloured cable. It’s obviously more cost effective for them to produce cables with the same colour range but somehow I don’t expect this will be reflected in the price.

I’m not a lover of the new colours but they are better than some of the European multi core flexible cables which just have numbered black cores.

cheers lads thanks for replies.
please understand i have no problem with others coming to uk to WORK.. others get me a bit annoyed.
I have a big thank you to say to all non uk people who came to uk to help us win second world war.

OK NOW...get behind your team for the world cup.

thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back