How do I change a plug?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
Home > Electrical Supplies > Industrial > Site Distribution
110V Accessories 3kVA Transformer IP44. Overload protection and corrosion-resistant enclosure. 2m input lead.
IP44 Splashproof
2M Input Lead
close review
£61.85

Enlarge Image

Quote No: 16158
Pack Prices (inc. VAT) Quantity
£61.85 - -
Screwfix
That sounds very much like a site transformer. Would look ugly in the kitchen. And it puts out 2 x 55v, the OP needs 120v with reference to earth.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter how much I paid for the toaster.

What I want to know is how I can use it in the UK?

And how can a transformer cost more than the toaster? I've seen them for £8.95

A piddly 240v - 120v transformer designed for running some fairy lights may cost £8.95, but one designed to handle the current of your toaster (which is likely to be at least 2kw I would think, is not going to be so cheap - try somewhere in the £60-70!).

So yes, if you really want to use it, you can, but it will cost you. And with that, you will now need to fit a new US style plug to fit back onto the flex - good luck with sourcing one of those too!

Whats so special about this beloved toaster?

Sponsored Links
Yes there may be a way. If for single slice then some form of resistor (bulb of same wattage and voltage as toaster) or if double re-wire inside and series two windings.

But for all practical use sell it to a builder so he can have toast on his building site and buy another one.

So OK you have had your fun. Own up. Who are you? Bet it's BAS winding us up?

However it could be serious I bought a radio with charger made in China with USA type plug complete with adaptor to change to 13A type. It was 230vac 50Hz and would work on UK supply but adaptor had no fuse at all.

Radio was A1, So was the charger and with USA plug it plugs directly into my inverter so can charge in car. But take that adaptor and fit to the pretend toaster and you have a very big problem.

Now PLEASE! Before anyone replies, DO NOT reply with stupid, sarcastic comments, don't tell me to call an electrician, don't tell me not to attempt anything unless I know what I'm doing etc. etc. etc. Any of those comments which don't actually offer advice, will be ignored.

Please ONLY post helpful, useful comments.
This is not stupid or sarcastic:

For the second time you have come here and demonstrated that you know absolutely nothing about electricity, and you keep on doing incredibly stupid and dangerous things.

Genuine advice, which is helpful and useful - call an electrician, don't attempt to do things unless you know what you are doing.

Doesn't the fact that you felt the need to put that request into your post show that you knew you might well get told to call an electrician etc?

Why did you think it likely? Could it be because you know that you are doing stupid and dangerous things?

PS - don't come here telling us what advice we may or may not give you.

There is a hilarious place that you could prob plug it into, but if I say it (even in jest), because it is so dangerous and inappropriate, I will be hung drawn and quartered for even mentioning its name. I made an inappropriate joke on here before and had to apologies to all concerned several times. I think I got away with the last joke in the end but it was a close shave :) so i would not want to repeat the error.
Seriously though; put a plug on it put it on our mains supply and it will go bang.

It is now illegal to sell items without uk plug on in this country under the snappily tittled The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994, so return it to the del boy who sold it to you. Hold on, have you brought 200 of these Rodders?

Martin

Well surley thats great, toast 4 times as fast!!!

Best laugh ive had this weekend!!!

Thankyou

Simplest way to getting it working is to run an extension cable over to the US.

The toaster looks like it has no earth, make a toaster sized space in the bin and fill it with said toaster, alternatively if you like it that much stick it on your mantle piece and bung some flowers in the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back