Have gas safety checks changed regarding earthing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've just had a gas safety certificate done on a buy-to-let and one of the advisory things is that the gas pipe should be earthed as it enters the property. I've had this property for a number of years, and this has never come up in previous inspections, so wondered if the regulations have recently changed or my previous inspections have missed it?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Previous inspections have missed it - I've always known it to be a regulation ever since I started this job 12 years ago. Should be within 600mm of the meter and before any tees.

I wonder what else was missed?

Sponsored Links
Gas pipes should never be earthed. Bonded, maybe, if it is an extraneous conductive part. Is the incoming gas feed plastic or metallic?

Ah, nice to have you back Tony. How was France, lovely this time of year eh?! Did you take your Lodger?
think he would be more interested in taking his flow cup than his lodger that broke his intergas cup handle ;)

think he would be more interested in taking his flow cup than his lodger that broke his intergas cup handle ;)
I'm sure he packed his holiday multimeter & ten boiler manufacturers' T shirts.

Gas pipes should always be earth bonded!
Equipotential bonding is only required if the extraneous conductive parts can introduce a potential to the property. If the feed is non metallic then it's not possible. Do you know what bonding is for?

Equipotential bonding is only required if the extraneous conductive parts can introduce a potential to the property. If the feed is non metallic then it's not possible. Do you know what bonding is for?
Think he does ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back