Have I used the wrong tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was trying to change a eurocel cylinder in my pvc front door. I used my little impact driver to undo and redo. Something was going wrong in that I couldn't get the cylinder out. I tried undoing another screw but think I have over done it so I have worn the head.

Seen the trick to have a go with an elastic band to remove it. But what I want to know is - was I using the wrong piece of equipment, ie, an impact driver versus a simple screw driver?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it works its not the wrong tool. In your case use a screwdriver. (y)

Sponsored Links
No, but I will give it another try. Thanks.

Once the retaining screw is removed, you then need to put the key in the cylinder and turn it until the plastic lug in the lock moves to the correct position.

I don't think you should use impact drivers with machine screws- but I would be wrong. A hand screwdriver would have been safer.

Replacement screws (nb. they are Philips not posidrive)

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Cylinder-Retaining-Screws.html

If you look at the edge of the door at lock level you will see 3 screws. The one in the middle, (usually nearer the lower screw), is the one that holds the cylinder in the correct position. Firstly slacken it slightly using a screwdriver. Then insert your key and turn it to the right until it's around the 1 or 2 o'clock position. While you are turning it gently push the lock from the other side until you feel it move fractionally. Leave the key in that position while you then remove the screw completely. The cylinder should now slide out smoothly though if you have escuteons and cover plates fitted on the key access I always find it easier to remove these first. Have a look at this video.

Yale Euro Cylinder Door Lock Platinum TS007 3* Star – Home Secure (homesecureshop.co.uk)

I don't think you should use impact drivers with machine screws- but I would be wrong. A hand screwdriver would have been safer.

Replacement screws (nb. they are Philips not posidrive)
You are perfectly right - Euro barrel screws are one area where a hand screwdriver is a far better bet, power screwdrivers can really chew up the recesses in the screw heads very quickly. Trying to persuade some joiners to do this when locking out is an exercise in futility - there are rough houses everywhere, I find. I've had Eurobarrel screws in PZD#2, Ph#2, recessed hex socket (4mm) and even Torx in recent years, sometimes more than one type in a single batch of barrels which can be quite frustrating (although it is mainly Pozi or Phillips)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen with my own eyes "carpenters" who carry around a bucket of screws and use whatever their hands lands on first.
A few months ago a desperate former customer called me for some doors that were hanged well ****ed.
I get there and the "carpenter" was hacking bits off the door with a chisel.
I convinced him that new doors and frame shouldn't really need any shavings.
When I looked at the hinges I realised that he must've had the famous bucket of screws and lo and behold, there it was.
2 hinges, 12 screws, not less than 6 varieties (slotted, pozi, Phillips, even a green treated fence screw).

I have seen with my own eyes "carpenters" who carry around a bucket of screws and use whatever their hands lands on first.
A few months ago a desperate former customer called me for some doors that were hanged well ****ed.
I get there and the "carpenter" was hacking bits off the door with a chisel.
I convinced him that new doors and frame shouldn't really need any shavings.
When I looked at the hinges I realised that he must've had the famous bucket of screws and lo and behold, there it was.
2 hinges, 12 screws, not less than 6 varieties (slotted, pozi, Phillips, even a green treated fence screw).

Whilst working for a customer in Hammersmith she mentioned that she couldn't open the newly fitted bathroom door fully because it was hitting the skirting (which sat proud of the door liner). I suggested that she get them to fit parliament hinges. They did but set them so that the knuckle was in line with the door edge.

To be fair, they used the screws provided with the parliament hinges. When I removed the hinges to fit them properly, I could see that they used an oscillating tool to rebate the hinges.

FFS this sounds like it's becoming a horror story thread. I'll get some popcorn! (y)

If you look at the edge of the door at lock level you will see 3 screws. The one in the middle, (usually nearer the lower screw), is the one that holds the cylinder in the correct position. Firstly slacken it slightly using a screwdriver. Then insert your key and turn it to the right until it's around the 1 or 2 o'clock position. While you are turning it gently push the lock from the other side until you feel it move fractionally. Leave the key in that position while you then remove the screw completely. The cylinder should now slide out smoothly though if you have escuteons and cover plates fitted on the key access I always find it easier to remove these first. Have a look at this video.

Yale Euro Cylinder Door Lock Platinum TS007 3* Star – Home Secure (homesecureshop.co.uk)

Excellent video - thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back