Haynes manuals, end of an era.

Sponsored Links
To be fair they were getting a bit lazy with them, "gearbox rebuild is beyond the DIYer" this was for a Suzuki SJ410, **** easy gbox to rebuild, went and bought the genuine Suzuki one, Haynes one got put on a shelf never to be looked at again.

I bought the Paperback Mk2 Kuga one out of interest and it was ****e unfortunately.

The online is only valid for 1 year, tried selling me that instead!.

I bought the Paperback Mk2 Kuga one out of interest and it was ****e unfortunately.

The online is only valid for 1 year, tried selling me that instead!.

Did you have ever access to a genuine Ford workshop manual? Does there even exist such a thing for the Kuga? :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Never found them to be that accurate, to be honest although some of the specifications were useful.
Used to have all the Autodata books but they cost a fortune.
John :)

I have genuine loose leaf, Mini manual also Sprite and Midget manual - both British Leyland Ltd - 1970.
Haynes hardback - Automobile Electrical Manual - 1983.
All with genuine oily fingerprints on the odd page or three...
-0-

Did you have ever access to a genuine Ford workshop manual? Does there even exist such a thing for the Kuga? :unsure:

You have to pay Ford to access their ETIS system (I've registered as an Independent Operator but never used it).

There is the Powershift gearbox rebuild manual (night on 1000 pages) but I've never seen one in the flesh and it's not written by Ford.

The most disappointing thing about the Haynes is I bought it for the wiring diagrams and there's next to sod all in there..

Ford are also pulling all their firmware off the portal for module updates etc, apparently Snap-On have been waving a lot off money around to get their new online diagnostics as the one stop OEM solution..

Had an Email from Ford recommending the Snap-On kit, bloody cheek imho.

I learned lots of things from my Haynes manual from the '80s-'90s.
Unfortunately they stopped writing manuals for newer cars a long time ago, in fact I bought an online manual for the Audi and got to say, it's a lot more detailed.
Bolt by bolt instructions with torque settings and tricks as you go.
Haynes should've stepped up their standard years ago but they didn't.

Also known as "heinous manuals"
Mainly motorbikes in my case but they were often so full of incorrect info that they were a guide at best. I always used factory manuals myself (and often they could be iffy)

I've got a genuine Suzuki LJ80 manual but it must have been translated into English by someone who's first language was Japanese, spelling mistakes all over the place!! You'd have thought they'd have had it checked by someone who's first language was English.
Good manual though, however it had one mistake, there was a parts diagram of the gearbox and a series of pics showing the g/box reassembly, one of them is correct the other showed the idler gear the wrong way round, guess which one I followed! Of course its not just a matter of turning it around as its located by a fork which is attached to the G/box casing so you have to split the g/box again!!!

I've seen a few "Don't drink wine before operating this vehicle" stickers on motorcycle petrol tanks before.

Quite specific, I presume beer would be ok!.

Mainly motorbikes in my case but they were often so full of incorrect info that they were a guide at best. I always used factory manuals myself (and often they could be iffy)
Wasn't there an original Tiger Cub Manual on line, I remember printing one off, I'm sure I had it saved on my old PC
I've seen a few "Don't drink wine before operating this vehicle" stickers on motorcycle petrol tanks before.
The older factory Morris Minor manuals had instructions for welding panels by surrounding the area to be welded with some sort of asbestos paste to absorb the heat!! How times have changed.

Original "factory" manuals are really easy to access now, scans appear on the net, some guys make DVDs of whole marque collections available for the cost of a genuine single book and reprints including plastic binders are available.

There is still a paste available that protects steel panels from warping when welding. Doubt it is asbestos based now

Sponsored Links
Back