Heads up for some

A

Alarm

I have recieved a few emails today to follow a link and verifiy my account with Alliance and Leciester / Santander. All fine except I hold no accounts there, looks like a scam. I have reported this and sent them the link.

So just beware.

Regards

Alarm

Sponsored Links
Their reply;

Please note - A NUMBER OF FRAUDULENT E-MAILS ALLEGING TO BE FROM SANTANDER ARE CURRENTLY IN CIRCULATION.

Santander will never send you an e-mail asking you to click on a link, or to enter, reconfirm or change your security or card details. We will never ask you to tell us your passwords by e-mail or over the phone.

If you think you may have revealed your security details in any way, please call us immediately on 0845 600 4388. We're available 7am to 11pm Monday to Saturday, and 9am to 9pm on Sunday.

You can also help Santander by forwarding any Phishing email you receive to: [email protected]

I started getting similar emails about a year ago from Halifax, Santander, Nat West etc (although I don't bank with any of them)
I clicked one link just to see where it took me and the website looked just like the actual banks website (only difference was the url) I checked with the real banks website first.
Now I usually forward these emails to the real banks, security/fraud dept.
Latest email scams seem to concern a tax refund from the IRS (American tax dept) As I live in the UK I just delete these. Another one to watch out for is ,,, If your on Skype and have your settings so you can receive "chat" from anyone,, people contact you via the chat, usually from Ghana/Nigeria with the usual tales of woe "Family have all been killed but they have the usual inheritance of $25 million+ and need your help to get it out of the country.
I usually ignore these, but sometimes string them along for a while (quite entertaining) before setting Skype to offline mode.

I get them emails supposedly from banks every day. Santander, lloydstsb, natwest, northern rock, RBS, HSBC.

Bizarely the only one that doesnt really feature is the bank im actually with.

Sponsored Links
I get them emails supposedly from banks every day. Santander, lloydstsb, natwest, northern rock, RBS, HSBC.

Same here. At least one a day,and my bank is not included. But then Coutts do have very good security, and would chase down the fraudists.

This type of bank email scam have been commonplace for around 18 months or so now, usually your browser's phishing filter will pick this up (if it has one) but you are right, the URL is usually well of what the actual banking site URL is.
Also look out from these coming from Paypal, eBay and Western Union asking you to update security (although the most common eBay one is that there has been an attempt to access your account from a foreign IP - then asks you to re-set your security).
Usually, companies that you hold e-accounts with will contact you using an identifier (user name or the like) and the fraudsters won't - as they don't have this info - so the easiest way is where one starts "dear ebay user" for example.

Same here. At least one a day,and my bank is not included. But then Coutts do have very good security, and would chase down the fraudists.
And the fraudsters too :idea:

Best thing to do is not follow any links on these e-mails. If they want you to update/verify anything then you'll be able to do that by logging in on their website. I get at least 4 or 5 every week to one of my e-mail addresses.

A word of warning - if you do follow any of the links (and obviousy enter the correct information), you will lose money. My girlfriend's Dad followed one and £8k was transferred out of his account. If anything like that happens, or if you've followed any links and are now worried, get in touch with your bank ASAP.

Hmmm,, strange one that Pablo, anyway, if you let me have your details i'll look into it for you. Trust me, i'm not a doctor. :LOL:

Another thing with these links - some of them are smart, meaning once you click the link to goto the "site", it sends a message to whoever made the site to say that the email address is active etc.. this then gets sent to other spam bots and you begin to get more...

I usually forward them onto which ever bank it claims to be from - aswell as the ISP emails.. "AOL/Sky/BT..etc wants to update your billing details"...

I've had a few Paypal scam emails and some supposedly from the Taxman as well. I never click the links, always type the URL or go from a saved favourite.

If you fall for one of these, then you really do deserve to be scammed as a penalty for being so stupid in the first place

Surely it is common knowledge by now that no company sends a email asking you to verify anything

And if these emails are getting to your inbox then you need a better host or set of filters

I used to sometimes respond to these (when they were sent to an old barely used email account) by giving my details:

User name : F*ck off
Password : you thieving bas***ds

Now I just delete them without bothering to look.

Sponsored Links
Back