Heat Banks

Does the Advance Appliances supply the external plate heat exchanger in the package?

Do they have have a plate "inside" some stores?

You can add another plate if you need more flowrate. Try that with a coil or unvented cylinder.

Is this S steel?

Are they installing spreaders inside? Proper spreaders will prevent the 5 minute firing of the boiler. Where did you read about this? You can make your own spreaders by drilling out pipe stops on compression fittings and running pipe right though. Solder in internal stop ends and drill the pipe.
More time to reply now. The plate X is included, as is the flowswitch. Yes it's stainless. Saved a bit by getting an unused brand new shunt pump off ebay, and I'm going to keep looking about for cheap bits as the plumber is going to give me a parts list. 50 metres of 22mm - ouch!
The Nuheat store has an internal plate, but for a custom cylinder, and given the water flow I wanted, they suggested an external plate, swiss-made apparently.
The thing that originally put me off thermal stores was reading about coils that are useless, or internal plates that scale up - not here - you're right, the plate can be swapped if scaling occurs (less likely on an external plate as the plate is only heated - causing calcification or summat - when water is called for).
There are no spreaders, but homemade ones (if all we need is some tube wiv 'oles in) sound easy. Having two stats kind of prevents any dodgy layering kicking the boiler in ealry anyway.
Using two stats gives boiler anti-cycling. The usual is one half way up set to around 60C, and one at the bottom set to say 75C. From cold the cylinder heats up until the bottom stat switches out at 75C. The cylinder cools from the bottom up, as some DHW and CH extracts heat. The bottom drops below 75C and yet the boiler does not fire. Only when the top stat is under 60C does the boiler fire and re-heat the lot in one efficient burn. A relay is used for this. DPS show the wiring for it on their web site.
Egg sactly. But all you need to do is link one terminal of one stat to a terminal on the other stat - it doesn't need a relay honest - I bought two stats today and checked - in series they're fine.
if using a wood burner. The store can operate OK at 90 to 95C. Once 95C is reached a pump acts as a heat dump for the wood burner. The high limit stat can also switch out the boiler and solar pump
Check! Top sensor pocket already agreed on.
Message ends. I'll report back when all is fitted. And thanks BB/WS/whoever for the Advance Appliance info - much appreciated.
[/quote]

Sponsored Links
I did try Dick first, but he kept on about holy water, so I posted on here instead!
Seriously, many thanks BB/whoever you are, as I've said previously, short of a confused conversation with a plumbers merchant or a sales pitch over the phone, the internet is the only place to learn about this stuff.

short of a confused conversation with a plumbers merchant or a sales pitch over the phone, the internet is the only place to learn about this stuff.

You do need the intelligence to sift out the bad (although well meaning) info from the relevant. You also need to have an understanding too.

When I mention a CH buffer and eliminating boiler cycling, to domestic plumbers they look at me as if I am mad, yet the commercial men fully understand.

BTW, I not quite sure what you are doing with the anti-boiler cycling stats. The usual way is about half way up one stat (set to 60C) and the other at the bottom (set to 75C).

From cold:

The cylinder heats up top down. It get to above 60C and top stat opens as setpoint is reached. The bottom is still calling for heat so the boiler remain on until the bottom reaches setpoint.

The cylinder cools:

The bottom of the cylinder cools below 75C. The stat closes, but the boiler remain off. When the top stats is below 60C then the boiler fires.

This prevents boiler cycling:

This requires a latching in relay - about a £5 inc' base from Maplin.

Sponsored Links
So, it works. Finally. We have a 300 litre sealed system store (with solar and woodburning coils, both as yet unused). Been running a few months so far.

Would I recommend a thermal store? Yes, particularly if you want multiple energy inputs ie solar, gas, whatever.
A bigger question would be ....
Would I recommend it over an unvented water cylinder? Yes, because it stops the damn boiler coming on every ten minutes or every time you open the front door.

It’s a bit more complex, in that the hot water has an extra shunt pump and flow switch, but then on the flip side a special plumber and the annual unvented service everyone bleats on about isn’t needed.

Solar evac tube panels are planned for next year, once building works are completed, and a german-designed wood burning stove with back boiler running unvented (live life on the edge, that’s what I say) is very imminent, as I’ve just bought it.

A new Vaillant boiler feeds the store direct, and was only firing two or three times a day in the summer, controlled by a programmable timer and two cylinder stats.

Twin cyl stats are in a circuit with a relay (that was a job and a half to work out but worth it in the end - ta!) that only allows the boiler on once most of the heat has been drained from the store, and then only switches the boiler off when the majority of the store is heated – seems to work seriously well, with no nuisance firings or brief shutdowns that happen when a blast of cold or hot water goes past a single stat, as I've read about.

Now it’s winter, rads are running too, straight off the store, zoned into two areas with separate room stats for each, Y plan style.
Boiler fires a few times a day now it’s colder - max maybe ten times when it’s been close to freezing, more usually about half a dozen firings in 24 hours. Boiler still off for the whole night so far – there seems to be enough in the store from midnight to see the rads through to morning without us getting frostbite. Probably having the store and pipework within the house (instead of a loft or garage) helps as background heat as well.

Hot water comes from an external plate heat exchanger sized by Advance to provide 30 litres a minute at 45 degree temp rise – a shunt pump draws water from the top three inches of the store (pump an old Grundfos 15/60 set to low speed only so far) - flow switch kicks in when a tap is opened, and due to the heat X being so close to the store, hot water flow is instant, unlike a combi which sometimes takes a while to get hot. And I’m guessing this flow switch and pump is more reliable than most combis :evil:
To boost the water flow as we only have a 15mm incoming supply, we also put in a 250 litre accumulator. Saved digging the garden and drive up to install a blue plastic pipe anyway.

The store has no anti-stratification measures at all on the returns to the bottom of the store, and so far (maybe with it being so tall and thin) there appear to be no probs with thermal mixing – showers are red hot, heating flow (from just above halfway up the store) is great, despite both the heat X and space heating pumps stirring up the store when running. Top of the store is around 65-70 degC, bottom showing 50 degC max – more usually 35 deg when boiler kicks in. Does mean reheating can take a while if the rads are already calling for heat, but most of the work is done while it’s condensing.

Reading between the lines on t’internet, all this stuff about stratification is only really important when the hot water supply part of the store is underspec’d – oversize it with a plate heat exchanger the size of a shoe box, and cooler mixed-up water in the top part of the store isn’t a problem – hot water is still hot regardless.

Boiler really is getting fed cold return water most of the time as the gauges on the store and heating return suggest. The buffering effect is preventing any boiler cycling too, appearing so far to save gas compared to last year – not worked any possible savings out exactly yet, as real test will be when the solar and stove are in, plus the boiler’s new anyway, so comparisons wouldn’t be fair.
Once the stove and solar are in, British Gas will no doubt come for their meter back to check it’s still working, or that’s what I’m hoping.

For this kind of stuff to work you need a corgi/solar heating engineer who knows what he’s doing (I found one), a manufacturer who can do what they say ---->>> Advance and most importantly an ebay account to get everything else. Oh, and a helpful plumbers merchant for the bits no-one wants to flog on ebay.
All the above inc store, fitting over 2 weekends, boiler, controls, plate X, zoning of the rads, some of the solar bits (controller, pump station), all plumbed in copper, with a shedload of spare bits left over has come in at less than we were quoted for a duostream (dualstream?) unvented cylinder/accumulator install. And it’s so much more fun seeing peoples reaction when they see our ‘plant room’, all gauges and big red handles :eek: :cool:

Thankyou again :D

Now for the fun bit, put it on BG Homecare and film and post all engineer visits on youtube for my amusement :LOL:

Glad to have assisted. ...and see that all works as planned. Glad you never had a Luddite dumbo fit it in either. Many come on here and ask difficult questions and never report back what they did.

As you noticed the boiler condenses most of the time of cylinder re-heat and in summer too, and operates at very low return temperatures even in summer. This gives great condensing efficiency. The absence of boiler cycling will mean high efficiency and boiler longevity. The instantly hot rads in the mornings must be a bonus.

1. The CH zones can have TRVs all around using Smart pump. A great advantage.

2. Stratification is important to keep the return temperature low and the DHW temp high. A tall cylinder does help a lot.

3. You can put a CH pump interlock in. When reheating the cylinder the CH is switched out to give a fast re-heat.

4. You can switch out the CH pump when the DHW is called too. Then a few simultaneous hot showers will last and last.

5. How long does it take to get DHW from a cold re-heat - say a useful sink full. It should be a few minutes as it heats top down. An unvented cylinder heated by a coil would take a long time.

6. How long does it take to reheat the cylinder and what kW is the boiler?
Is the boiler temp set to maximum?

7. I would fit a Magnaclean on the CH return to the heat bank, not on the boiler return, if one is not fitted already.

You have proven to yourself that you are not, certifiably insane for deviating from the unvented solar cylinder

Great job. You are a thinker. I like that.

I must say how refreshing it is to see a thread on thermal stores that hasn’t degenerated into a slanging match… yet :)

How refreshing indeed, though the style of the thread looks suspiciously like WS/DD/BB/RHG having another exchange of cordial views with himself.

well spotted, geez how many personalities does this character actually have :confused:

How refreshing indeed, though the style of the thread looks suspiciously like WS/DD/BB/RHG having another exchange of cordial views with himself.
FFS leave the guy alone. He's providing useful information to someone who wants it, and doing no harm in the process (apart from the Luddite generalisation, which surely can be let go).

You didn't understand what gordonspants was on about. He is a complete amateur and out-thought and outdid the so called professionals on here. He has come up with a superb system that is easily extendable to solid fuel and solar.

Well done gordonspants.

First off, I'm me, no-one else. I can think of better things to do with my life than create various alter-egos then pretend to talk to each other on the computer. Don’t think I even had an imaginary friend when I was little.

Right.. as listed

...We already have trvs on most rads, but a few older ones without, pump is an Alpha with a bypass fitted as well – not sure we needed that, as it was bleeding hot water back into the store return, so I’ve wound it up a bit now, forcing the pump to back off when trvs are shutting instead – to start with, I reckon we were getting 60-70 deg water going back in at the bottom. Now I know more and more to the point understand it, I’d use a 3-way mixing valve with a sensor that keeps store return temp low – if too hot, it gets sent round the rads again. Planning a laddomat 21 on the stove boiler – this does same thing returning the correct temp (this time not too cold tho’) back to the heat source. If stratification is essential, a clever valve probably is too.

2. Stratification is important to keep the return temperature low and the DHW temp high. A tall cylinder does help a lot.
...The stratification thing is a Big Question from reading around all this on this forum and elsewhere – ours isn’t so much, as the plate X is big enough to cope – had a good shower (admittedly in summer with warmer incoming townswater) with the top of the store at 55-60 only, and whatever we do, the boiler’s still showing a temp diff across flow and return of 20 deg or more right until the last couple of mins of a firing.
I think, from reading, that if you have a thermal store with an internal coil somewhere in the top third of the store, it’s more important to get the stratification correct – one blast of cooler water up around the coil, and the shower falters – our plateX taps into the store right at the top.

3. You can put a CH pump interlock in. When reheating the cylinder the CH is switched out to give a fast re-heat.
..Good idea but no point as far as I can tell – once the rads AND the boiler are on eg first thing in the morning when the roomstats and store call for heat, I suspect the energy goes straight into the store then back out again. Only once the rads are calming down does the boiler get a chance to charge the store.
One thing I did do, was try a pipe stat on the return from the rads, to cut the rad circ pump if return temp to the store got above a certain temp. Didn’t work! Just meant the pump stopping then clicking on for a few secs then off again to wait for the section of pipe to cool again. As said above, second time around I’d do a 3 way mixing valve to filter out warm return water.

4. You can switch out the CH pump when the DHW is called too. Then a few simultaneous hot showers will last and last.
...Tell you what – doesn’t make any difference – can’t get a cold shower in this house now unless it’s the third in a row.

5. How long does it take to get DHW from a cold re-heat - say a useful sink full. It should be a few minutes as it heats top down. An unvented cylinder heated by a coil would take a long time.
...To be honest, so far I don’t think we’ve had a problem with waiting for hot water - it'd have to be under 50/55 deg at the top to struggle - a coil WOULD struggle. And the shunt pump is still only on speed 1 out of 3.

...Boiler is an EcoMax 28kw (too big really, but it was dirt cheap as it’s an old model). If I did it again, I’d have a dinky 12kw thing running it’s nuts off instead. Boiler temp is set to max – 82 degC. The theory I’ve found elsewhere is 300 litres stores about 18kWh of energy at deltaT of 50degC, so my 20 to 30 mins running is about right if I’m putting in 28kW. I think! Not a mathimagician.

7. I would fit a Magnaclean on the CH return to the heat bank, not on the boiler return, if one is not fitted already.
...Check! (but on the return to the boiler from the store, as that’s where it fitted best) Thinking about it, it should be nearer the rads, then any crap from the old system doesn’t get into the store first. Fair point, we never thought of that.

quote]

If you’re daft enough to try something like this, if you want to burn wood, gas and use solar, without the internet or a german dictionary you’re on your own.
There’s here, screwfix, navitron, green building forum and a couple of others. The yellow pages or high street is useless, from my experience.
Without internet, I’d have a combi or an unvented solar cylinder with system boiler, and a nice trendy standalone woodburning stove.
Who, of the pro’s on here can seriously say they’ve ever fitted something like this and made it work?
Maybe you’ve done two this week already, maybe it’s just me, but I couldn’t find anyone when I wanted someone to do it – in the end I got lucky and a relative of a friend (who fits solar, ufh with stores etc etc) did it, more for a weekend challenge than anything I suspect, but he understood the theory as he fits stores for ufh anyway, and was willing to give it a go and spend time on applying the theory to copper pipe and plumbing bits, which seems to be the biggest hurdle – giving it a go, not defaulting to the easiest option.

A boiler coming on for ten minutes every time an arbitrarily selected room’s temperature drops a degree is a waste of gas.
Running a tap for 20 seconds before the combi gets its act together is a waste of water.
Throttling back the shower when the weather gets cold as the hot water drops away, that’s easy.
There is good stuff out there, good combis, unvented cylinders, but without good controls, accumulators or big mains pipes, weather comp etc, none of it works as efficiently as it could, it's frustrating, and you're more often than not directed to the easy option.

Plumbers merchants for example – I have found just one man, in one merchants, who was willing to take the time to get his head around this.
Shaking heads everywhere else. Not standard. No idea. Move along now, there’s a queue of people waiting for pushfit plastic and £299 combis.
Someone has said above that I should get Gritish Bass in and video them. I would, but I don’t want them fainting and impaling themselves on a valvehead or summat.
If you think this is all just daft and I'm here to wind you up, go have a look in Europe – stores the size of garden sheds are used, 2500 litres or more, automated wood gasifying stoves that’ll only need running three times a week because the heatbank stores 2 days worth, multi-panel east-west solar, unvented wood burning stoves with all the control gear and safety systems to go with it, the list goes on, and I'm still learning about it - if I did this again, there'd be changes that's for sure, but what me and the heating engineer have done has succeeded, it bl**dy works, and works well, and I'm chuffed to bits with it.

Take weather compensation and it's use in the UK for example – standard practise for years abroad. We think we’re cutting edge with two roomstats.
We ARE doing some of the clever stuff here, eg Advance and others, mainly for ufh - but it’s generally thought of as mad scientist territory.
Whether it’s because we’re an island and insulated from the rest of Europe I don’t know, but we’re (generally speaking) still in the dark ages.
And discuss ;)
And NO I'M NOT BIG BURNER.

Would I recommend it over an unvented water cylinder? Yes, because it stops the damn boiler coming on every ten minutes or every time you open the front door.

It’s a bit more complex, in that the hot water has an extra shunt pump and flow switch, but then on the flip side a special plumber and the annual unvented service everyone bleats on about isn’t needed.

I would not say it is more complex at all - just a simple flow switch and pump. Look at all the the pressure valve gear on an unvented cylinder. That is far more complex. Also, a direct comparison is not relevant and a heat bank/thermal store which does so much more, is a different beast to a DHW only unvented cylinder. A pity most domestic people can't see this.

First off, I'm me, no-one else. I can think of better things to do with my life than create various alter-egos then pretend to talk to each other on the computer. Don’t think I even had an imaginary friend when I was little.

Gordon, many can't believe a total amateur has outdone them, looking into schemes, technology and products they knew nothing about.

Right.. as listed

...We already have trvs on most rads, but a few older ones without, pump is an Alpha with a bypass fitted as well – not sure we needed that, as it was bleeding hot water back into the store return, so I’ve wound it up a bit now, forcing the pump to back off when trvs are shutting instead – to start with, I reckon we were getting 60-70 deg water going back in at the bottom. Now I know more and more to the point understand it, I’d use a 3-way mixing valve with a sensor that keeps store return temp low – if too hot, it gets sent round the rads again. Planning a laddomat 21 on the stove boiler – this does same thing returning the correct temp (this time not too cold tho’) back to the heat source. If stratification is essential, a clever valve probably is too.

There is no need for a by-pass on the Alpha pump when running from a store. I would remove that or screw it down tight. A by-pass is to maintain flow through a boiler when the burner is on. Having a body of water as the heat source for the rads does not hold that constraint.

A 3-way mixing valve is best, controlled by a weather compensator. I gave details of where these can be bought in this thread. Htgeng on here, was selling a Danfoss stand alone compensator.

But an Alpha pump with predominately TRVs should work very well...and very well indeed with all TRVs.

Having the two CH zones directly off the cylinder with a Smart pump on each zone is beneficial. One zone does not influence the other and easy to balance.

The Broag boilers, as do Keston, have good control systems with integrated weather compensation. The Broag is easily configurable. I would consider using one of these heating the store which is split into the DHW and CH sections. A priority 3-way "diverting" vale on the boiler flow. The control system has the ability to take a DHW signal and ramp up to full temp for fast DHW re-heat. When satisfied it reverts to weather compensation. On DHW call the diverter valve opens to heat the top DHW section (3-way valve connected to the boiler). When DHW satisfied the valve diverts to the lower CH section and heats to the lower weather compensation temperatures. Using this method there is no need for 3-way CH mixing valves, just TRVs and Smart pumps, and all the time very low return temperatures.

It would mean two cylinder stats in the upper DHW section to prevent boiler cycling on DHW re-heat, and none in the lower section as the boiler controls the temperature of the bottom section via its own weather compensation control - the integral boiler pump is always running. The mass of CH water being heated in the cylinder would mean there would be little to no boiler cycling - the boiler modulates down to suit. Room temperature influence is integrated in the Broag (not sure about Keston) - this mean when nearing room temp setpoint the boiler lowers the weather temp in the CH section of the store again. A very cheap and effective way to go. Much of the control is inside the boiler and it does the work. That is the way I would do it - highly cost effective.

...The stratification thing is a Big Question from reading around all this on this forum and elsewhere – ours isn’t so much, as the plate X is big enough to cope – had a good shower (admittedly in summer with warmer incoming townswater) with the top of the store at 55-60 only, and whatever we do, the boiler’s still showing a temp diff across flow and return of 20 deg or more right until the last couple of mins of a firing.
I think, from reading, that if you have a thermal store with an internal coil somewhere in the top third of the store, it’s more important to get the stratification correct – one blast of cooler water up around the coil, and the shower falters – our plateX taps into the store right at the top.

You are right. A bigger plate heat exchanger does make matters better with the store running at lower temperatures, reducing the critical aspect of stratification - that is not to say ignore stratification when using a plate heat X. The big plate ensures that most heat is extracted from the stored water and passed to the cold mains water. The uninitiated think all stores are run at 80C and condensing boilers do not condense whatsoever and run inefficiently. The reality is far from that. Even with a store setpoint of 80C, 80% of boiler reheat will be condensing. Trying telling them and they just do not comprehend.

..Good idea but no point as far as I can tell

It depends on your usage. If you use a lot of DHW then locking out the CH pump on boiler reheat is a good thing.

...Boiler is an EcoMax 28kw (too big really, but it was dirt cheap as it’s an old model). If I did it again, I’d have a dinky 12kw thing running it’s nuts off instead. Boiler temp is set to max – 82 degC. The theory I’ve found elsewhere is 300 litres stores about 18kWh of energy at deltaT of 50degC, so my 20 to 30 mins running is about right if I’m putting in 28kW. I think! Not a mathimagician.

The great thing about heating stores directly is that the boiler can be sized for "average" heating loads, not peak. The buffering effect has a great advantage. Also, coupling an over-large boiler to the store has no adverse affects. Fitting an over-large boiler directly to rads can give big problems of cycling, not enough flow through the boiler etc.

A store will take all the boiler gives and then cut it out when hot. An over-large boiler is great for fast re-heats - great for lots of DHW usage and smaller cylinder is needed (although in your case with solar that is not applicable). As system boilers (many combis are cheaper and will do the same job with the DHW not being connected) are cheap around the 25 to 28kW range, it makes sense in many ways to go for one of those, as you did.

...Check! (but on the return to the boiler from the store, as that’s where it fitted best) Thinking about it, it should be nearer the rads, then any rubbish from the old system doesn’t get into the store first. Fair point, we never thought of that.

Yes best on the return where the ferrous is - the rads.

If you’re daft enough to try something like this, if you want to burn wood, gas and use solar, without the internet or a german dictionary you’re on your own.
There’s here, screwfix, navitron, green building forum and a couple of others. The yellow pages or high street is useless, from my experience.
Without internet, I’d have a combi or an unvented solar cylinder with system boiler, and a nice trendy standalone woodburning stove.
Who, of the pro’s on here can seriously say they’ve ever fitted something like this and made it work?

Few and far between. The great point about thermals storage, is that the system are easy and separate. The DHW is stand alone, as is the boiler, as is the CH circuit, as is the solar and wood burner. The store is a great neutral point. And no bigger than an unvented cylinder.

If you think this is all just daft and I'm here to wind you up, go have a look in Europe – stores the size of garden sheds are used, 2500 litres or more, automated wood gasifying stoves that’ll only need running three times a week because the heatbank stores 2 days worth, multi-panel east-west solar, unvented wood burning stoves with all the control gear and safety systems to go with it, the list goes on, and I'm still learning about it - if I did this again, there'd be changes that's for sure, but what me and the heating engineer have done has succeeded, it bl**dy works, and works well, and I'm chuffed to bits with it.
Take weather compensation and it's use in the UK for example – standard practise for years abroad. We think we’re cutting edge with two roomstats.
We ARE doing some of the clever stuff here, eg Advance and others, mainly for ufh - but it’s generally thought of as mad scientist territory.
Whether it’s because we’re an island and insulated from the rest of Europe I don’t know, but we’re (generally speaking) still in the dark ages.
And discuss ;)
And NO I'M NOT BIG BURNER.

About right. Gledhill packaged the stuff - the Gulfstream had the boiler inside. As do ACV, but they are regarded as wacky in the UK.

I now have pics - more to prove I do exist than anything else.
Clicky here I hope ---> //www.diynot.com/network/gordonspants/albums/
Note these are during installation, so some of the wiring is a bit untidy and un-conduit'd, and everything is now insulated with armaflex, sticky foil jointing tape and silver screwfix bubblewrap-on-a-roll (plus I made a 25mm kingspan box to fit round the heat X - it gets HOT).
Space above the accumulator at the top left is for the plutonium drive and antimatter filters... or maybe the stove chimney and solar pump station.
Plumbers... do your worst :D

Gordon, I added comments re: Broag, Keston weather compensation. I know too late for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back