heated towel rail in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a heated towel rail in my bathroom, I've read various posts saying that it's not possible to tee off the hot water pipe into the towel rail, which is fine, there are some electric rails, but are these on all the time? can you time them, obviously it would be needed in the summer, but in spring and autumn can i have it on for a few hours? Also do they need to be wired to the fuse box, or to a nearby socket?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have central heating via a wet system, such as radiators on a boiler?
If so a towel rad can be connected to that and/or via an electrical element.
And you can get a programer to control the rail.

Sponsored Links
Does this heater just fix to the wall, just wiring, no plumbing?

Some electric towel rails are self-containted electric-only devices that you just fix to the wall and wire up.

The alternative is to get a "plumbed" towel radiator and to fit an electric heating element to it. You fill the radiator with water, screw the heating element into one hole and blanking caps into the others. You can get kits to do this and it seems to be quite a popular choice. I've seen the heating elements on sale in the larger DIY places so you could go and have a look.

In either case, the wall fixing and electrical wiring is much the same. To operate on a timer, one option is something like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST11.html

Whether this can legally be fitted in a bathroom, where within the bathroom, and by whom, are questions that I'll leave for others to discuss...

Does this heater just fix to the wall, just wiring, no plumbing?
As already mentioned you have the panel that will just require an electrical input or you may purchase one that requires, blanking, filling and a heating element can be fitted.
also, the programmer, do they come with heater, or come separate, could you possibly give me an example please
They often require purchasing separately but I dare say there may be once available with a fitted programer.

Examples of above are:
electric towel radiators

element

water filled towel radiator

timer/programmer

The electrical connection will need to comply to part p of building regulations, electrical appliances within a bathroom require 30mA RCD protection, cables must be installed/routed in compliance to the permitted safe zones, electrical equipment and accessories must be selected as suitable for the bathroom zone they are to be installed within, an electrical appliance installed within the bathroom zones, will require to be notified to building controls, unless this is a replacement for an existing electrical heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back