Hedge Cutter Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I need a quality petrol hedge cutter, one of those that extends up and over so I don't have to risk life and limb every time I need to do a customer's overgrown hedge.

I seem to need to do some pretty tough hedges, not the usual privet, so I need one that'll handle some quite thick branches/stems (did a beech hedge today and some stems were maybe 2 3 cm across).

I could also do with it being versatile enough so that I could change the head on it for say, a strimmer attachment.

Who can recommend a make/model?

Just found these - any thoughts?

Mitox
Thpps
Efco
UNI

TIA

Sponsored Links
Have a scout round and see what the hire shops are using. They like quality and reliability.

I know I keep on rambling about Stihl, but I bought an HL95 extended reach / variable angle hedge trimmer (4 mix engine) - what a grand bit of kit it is (£550). They also have the attachment machines too. Domestic use = 2 years, trade use = 1 year warranty. Very important, that - if others are going to use your gear.
John :)

Interesting stuff. What about cutting diameter?

Is second hand likely to be knackered? If so, how would I tell?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Usually if a two stroke engine has compression it has some life left in it - I pop the exhaust off and have a look into the cylinder for jammed piston rings :idea:
Reputable shops will have some traded in gear with some sort of warranty but I'd avoid auction stuff. Its in there simply because its goosed - especially local authority stuff.
My local supplier is Gustharts.....could be worth a look.
With the extended reach trimmer, its vital that the oscillating trimmer head and bevel gear have been greased - a new head costs £150. The Stihl grease tubes actually screw onto the greasing hole, which is handy.
John :)

As mentioned Stihl are the dogs, but only worth shelling out for if you'll be using more than once a week. They are fairly simple to maintain and parts are readily available.

Tanaka can be considered a poor man's stihl, if only for occasional use, although I know gardeners who use them day in day out and put them in for a service once a year.
I have an efco strimmer which is very well built, it's an oldie though, don't know what their new stuff is like.

I have an efco strimmer which is very well built, it's an oldie though, don't know what their new stuff is like.

I have an old efco strimmer too, and I can't figure out how to upen up the spool to replace the line. Could you help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back