Help finding a light

• Thread starter Captain Nemesis
  • Start date
C

Captain Nemesis

Nowadays there are so many people making and flogging recessed LED lights that I could grow old and die looking at google results.

Can anybody help me shortcut by suggesting makes or sellers?

I want replacements for a couple of R80 fixed downlighters. I think the cutouts are 140mm dia (obv. Id check before actually buying).

Warm white, 100W equivalent, doesnt have to be dimmable if that adds a lot to the cost but it would be a bonus.

Sponsored Links
Apologies to securespark - I should have said Im looking for something like this

upload_2020-12-7_12-54-35.png

Ill look at Lyco - thanks Bernard

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I guess I have to decide on the balance of spending time trying to find one the right size and buying one too big and enlarging the hole. No access from above sadly so the joys of standing under where Im sawing through plasterboard await.

Theres no layout - they are the single central lights in each half of a large room (the common situation of the livingroom/diningroom in a semi knocked through into one)

Toolstation do those, We use similar as there ideal for large holes
"Round Led panel lights" is good in google.
Bigger the wattage the larger the diameter.
And the cutouts were actually about 135mm, so the 9W one, at 133mm, was perfick. (y)

Quality are all about the same its usually the small Driver that fails
But as its external it can be replaced if it fails. Or (I guess??) be swapped for a dimmable one if I want to dim them in the future?

Yes, there fairly easy to replace and a whole fitting not too dear,
If one fails power off unplug the small twist plug and swop head to another known working unit, if it dont light then its likely failed Driver, or your wiring.
Getting drivers can be hassle so often best to get whole unit.

Dont get me wrong they may last years, the ones we replace are in harsh commercial use often for many hours, regardless of cost they all appear to use small drivers,
some prewired and some with stupidly small terminations, maybe unfounded but i feel the larger the driver the longer they will last :).

As for Dimming not sure, you may need to replace Head and Driver as not guaranteed the internal Leds are actually dimmable inside a Non dimming version, so adding a dimmable driver may cause issues

Well if I were to want to dim, I could ask Aurora, as the lights I bought are available as non-dimmable, DALI or 1-10V. LEDs are LEDs - intrinsically they dont really dim. If a dimming driver uses PWM then it should dim anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back