Help for Hanging a chandelier in the dining room

Not sure where you're going!

I have only one person and one stepladder and I can no longer climb ladders. I cannot do this type of job so I would have to find somebody who could, whether it be with one person/ ladder or two.

Sponsored Links
I'm not "going" anywhere. o_O

All I did was point out to Megan that 5kg can seem surprisingly not "not too heavy" when you're trying to hold it in place and fix it.

5kg is 5kg - 11lbs if you want.

What's water got to do with it? How heavy is the bucket?

I know the standard unit of length is now the football field but even so ...

No - the football field is a standard unit of area, along with the tennis court and the Wales.

It's the double-decker bus which is the standard unit of length.

How many buckets of water to an elephant?

Sponsored Links
Actually, length (and I guess that also includes heights) should be measured in linguine (lg). TheRegister have a handy on-line converter :ROFLMAO: I do note that their converter also handles that old staple of double decker bus(ddb) and brontosaurus for where linguine measurements result in cumbersomely large numbers.

As an aside, we've all seen news reports where a road has just opened up into a big hole. Often this is the result of a leaking drain and infiltration (that's leaks INTO the drain) have washed away all the small material in the ground over time. Eventually, the hole becomes so large that the ground can no longer support the loads from above and the road collapses. At a talk I went to a while ago about one engineer's "life in the sewers", he said that going back before the days of mobiles, everyone was expected to have a penny in their pocket at all times so as to be able to use a public phone - and phoning in a report, they would estimate the size of the hole in units of ... "ddb"s. ie an estimate of how many double decker busses the hole was equivalent to.
When they do drain surveys, one of the key thing they are looking for is signs of infiltration. It doesn't take much to create a large hole over time - and there's no practical way to see such a hole until it reaches the surface.

If the chandelier really is no more than 5 kg, I can recommend the use of one of these (https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LDMC11A.html), also available in chrome, white and black.

The chandelier will need cleaning at some time in the future and these make it easier, since the chandelier can be unplugged and brought down to floor level.

Of course, it also makes it easier to install the chandelier in the first place.

An Imperial Gallon is 10 lb (pounds) of water (4.54 kg)
I have used one of these in mothers house, it was so much easier doing the wiring on the floor then simply lifting up and sliding into place. I also had a lamp moved in mothers house, ready for a lift to go in, I realised it was not actually screwed into the beam as expected it was simply in the plaster, with a standard shade and pendent lamps this is OK but it would never take the weight your looking at, you need screws which are actually in the beam, to check the rose will need removing so may as well replace with one which slides in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back