Help Help!!!!!!!! Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just joined and must say great site and alot of help I've noticed given to all.

Now, I hope if its possible please if you could help me with my problem, as not an electrician and every time I try to do something like these end up as now on it for two days and getting frustrated and tired of running from crab tree box to kitchen to be dissappointed every time. So as below here goes,

1. Original fixture rose with single light
2. Replacing with a Homebase Elipse bar spotlight
3. requires only a earth, neutral and live connection to operate.
4. Disconnected rose
5. wires from ceiling include, 3 earth's, 3 red's, 2 blacks, 1 yellow, and 1 blue with red sleeve over blue core.
6. connected loop as per rose ie: 2 red's
7. believe connected as per rose 2 blacks for neutral
8. connected all 3 earth's together
9. now can't figure out where or what to connect other's to allow light to work.
10. Oh since disconnected kitchen spot's on a bar don't work so presume when all connected correctly kitchen will work again.

All ur help wth this would be much appreciated trust me.

Look forward to hearing from u helpful guy's and gals.

Sponsored Links
photo's would have helped both us and yourself.. ( get photo of the ceiling rose beforer disconnection, wires out of ceiling, and wires on back of switch.. )

step 6 you say "2 reds", but you say 3 reds in your description..

you don't mention what wires went where in the cieling rose..

i'll give it a shot... but bear in mind i'm not there..

sounds like the blue with red sleeving is the switch wire.. this goes to the L on the light..

alternatively, you don't say if you have an extract fan that comes on with the lights? the red/yellow/blue could be to that...

Did the yellow have any red sleeve?

Is thw switch a 1 gang or 2 gang?

Hi ya bud,

I know numpty hey thought aout photo after I took it apart DEERRRR!!

No extract fan mate just a simple 4 spots on a bar light.

Yes 3 reds I know but coming from ceiling is 3 main cores 1-large grey and two white ones.
1. grey one contains earth, red, yellow and blue one with red sleeve on
2. white one contains black earth and red
3. other white one contains black earth and red.
4. took switch off wall which has two switches one for outside light and one for this extension.
5. Yes took switch off wall and left switch which is outside light has at top yellow wire and bottom has red and brown (brown) is just linked over to right hand switch.
6. Right hand switch which is for the light in extenson has at top blue and at bottom brown.

Sponsored Links
One of your two core + earth cables feeds the outside light, and is switched via the light you are fitting.

You need to establish which of the two core + earth cables is the mains feed before we can go any further. Can you see which goes to the outside light? LOFT?

Excuse very rough pic:

Earth ommited for clarity ;)

6shzotv.jpg

Guy's

Not sure which ones feed outside light but at this time the wires connected as below currently allows outside light to work perfectly from the switch is,

1. 2 reds which I did remember from rose in the loop section, 1 red from grey main and one white.
2. two blacks 1 from each white ones
3. earths 1 from all grey and both white ones
4. yellow from grey main and red from white one
5. blue with red sleeve on its own not connected to anything

Then using what you have just told us, mixed with the pic above.....you are sorted ;)

so then by method of deduction.. the blue wire is your live, the blacks are your neutral and the earth wires are your earth...

Well Mr. Lectrician and others to your amazement and sorry guess I've got the outside light working properly, lol.

But if you would'nt mind answering for me as think i'm not using pic properly, what and where do I connect the other wires as kitchen not working since I took it all apart like a prat with no photo.

So would I be correct in saying when all connected correctly kitchen light will work again.

As the blacks act as a neutral and I know two out of the three reds are the loop what do I do with the red and yellow which are connected and the spare blue with red sleeve both out on their own.

1. have with spare wire joined the red,yellow and blue together but nothing kitchen one still not working.

2. Guess if outside light working from switch ok I'm nearly there just stuck and ran out of combinations to try.

Sorry for being a pain and ur response's are quick prompt and THANKYOU!!!

Bump, Sorry still sat here awaiting ur answers with hole in celing light on floor ass getting num on wooden seat and neck hurting from staring at screen, lol.

see my above post...

just to re-iterate..

the BLUE wire is the live to your new light...

the BLACK wires are the neutral

the RED AND YELLOW that you have together now will be the outside light.. stick these in a connector block on their own...

the 2 REDS you have together are the feeds.. stick these together in their own connector block...

the EARTHS are the earth for your new light..

Cheers,

So as there connected like so even if light not attached should Kitchen light work regardless of new light fitted or not.

Not sure as have connected new light to these settings and nothing.

OH WHY DID I START OR NOT TAKE A PHOTO FEEL ABSOLOUTELY STUPID NOW.

aww crap, now you're cofusing the issue..

how can the light work if you havent connected it?

you already said the other light works ( in the extension.. ? )

does the light work if you switch the light on in th eextension as well??

if so then you have the reds from the white cables mixed up.. swap them round..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back