Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I have a couple of questions. I have just had an extension build on my home , the builder has put 18" chipboard flooring upstairs and it's a bit creaky, should he have used 22'. Also I have had door frames replaced and the new architrave sits around 3/4' off the wall, he tells me that by the time I have had the walls skimmed and the gaps corked it will be fine. Has the chippy fitted too large frames?
Sorry for sounding dull but am learning as I go along.
Cheers all

Sponsored Links
Flooring

Ideally you builder should have used moisture resistant flooring grade chipboard (green in colour). The sizes of these sheets are 2400 x 600 x 18 or 2400 x 600 x 22and ideally they should be screwed in place. 18mm thick sheets are used when the floor joists are at a maximum of 400mm centres and the 22mm thickness is used when the floor joists are at 450mm centers plus.

Door frames / linings

A door frame / lining should be 30 mm wider than wall thickness this is to allow for 12mm of bonding or browning plaster and 3mm of skim. The skim coat is the finish coat.

Have a look at these 2 guides both include a mini glossary

Door Lining

General details of internal door lining, including fixing of door linings and which hand it is.

And

Internal door lining refurbishment

Many thanks for the help AWBCM.

Noseall, that is the question my brother asked me earlier today. Left the job to the builder and came home to find he had fitted them.

Sponsored Links
Do you now the difference between a door lining / frame and a architrave ?

Are you getting the 2 components mixed up ?

Are the frames your builder is using doorsets ? Only these can come with the architrave being part of the frame. Basically the frame is in two parts and are fitted from both sides of the opening, and the joint is covered by the slam strip.

A little later I will do a drawing to explain more, but in the mean time can you post a photo ?

i hope to God that he didn't use 18" thickness never mind 22' you must have some ceiling height in there!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back