Help please, HIVE - Ordered the wrong one and they wont cancel it

Sorry for the hijack. I'm in a similar situation. I have a Vaillant ecoTEC pro28 combi, and am currently using a Siemens rcr10/433 unit with it.

Looking at the Vaillant manual, the PCB looks like it has a 24v and a 230v section. Would I be able to use a dual channel Hive with this?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.39.29.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 12.39.29.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Sorry for the hijack. I'm in a similar situation. I have a Vaillant ecoTEC pro28 combi, and am currently using a Siemens rcr10/433 unit with it.

Looking at the Vaillant manual, the PCB looks like it has a 24v and a 230v section. Would I be able to use a dual channel Hive with this?

Thanks.

It would appear so, rt to terminal 4 at hive. Can you not just get the single channel?

The control part of the Dual Channel Hive is linked to the L terminal internally so it can only give 230V control.

If you try to use it with 24v it will apply 230V to the 24v boiler circuits. The results would not be good

From the diagram you have posted, the only room thermostat terminals visible (marked RT) are marked 24v

rt.JPG

w.JPG

The mains terminals at the botton right are the mains supply to the boiler. There isn't a RT terminal for 230V connection to a thermostat there.

It would appear so, rt to terminal 4 at hive. Can you not just get the single channel?
Would be simpler, but Amazon's offer is only on the dual channel one. It comes with an Echo Dot and installation for £160.

Sponsored Links
The control part of the Dual Channel Hive is linked to the L terminal internally so it can only give 230V control.

If you try to use it with 24v it will apply 230V to the 24v boiler circuits. The results would not be good

From the diagram you have posted, the only room thermostat terminals visible (marked RT) are marked 24v

View attachment 176334

View attachment 176335

The mains terminals at the botton right are the mains supply to the boiler. There isn't a RT terminal for 230V connection to a thermostat there.

Oh, poo.

Thanks for this. Much appreciated.

Looks like I'll have to come up with an alternative plan.

@stem, I think on these Vaillants there is a 230v rt connection using a single wire, with a link at the receiver, but that’s built in on dual channel?

Attachments

• BC2D57B7-5E47-42A3-8ADE-165CD9A313C8.jpeg
    BC2D57B7-5E47-42A3-8ADE-165CD9A313C8.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 69
OK. It does say RT, so would be OK, the little * symbol says 'depending on product type'. Usually there is an RT terminal right next to the mains supply like this.

a.JPG

Vaillant do seem to have many different wiring formats. Personally I have always used a Single Channel version on 24v anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
@stem, I think on these Vaillants there is a 230v rt connection using a single wire, with a link at the receiver, but that’s built in on dual channel?
I did read some posts about people moving a couple of wires over in the Hive unit, but wasn't 100% that was doable with my boiler. Let me try and find the posts.

If there's a 230V RT connection you would be able to use it with a Hive Dual Channel, but it's a bit of a 'fudge' IMHO and you will have a hot water function that won't be doing anything.

@stem Yep, usually a purple plug in type connector is what I’ve always seen on the newer ones (2012 model). I’m not sure about the brand new ones, not had to wire any in, as most boilers we fit now are Intergas. All the previous ones are the purple plug or the original white strip with terminals 3&4.

I've posted a couple of links up but they have to be moderator approved.

Anyway, I posted the same question up on another forum and some eagle eyed person spotted this in the manual.

So it is possible to connect a 230v controller.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 14.16.56.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 14.16.56.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 75
I was just thinking. The Siemens reviver that I've already got with the boiler is probably 230V anyway. Wouldn't it just be a simple matter of replacing the Siemens unit for the Hive unit, and using the same wires?

I was just thinking. The Siemens reviver that I've already got with the boiler is probably 230V anyway. Wouldn't it just be a simple matter of replacing the Siemens unit for the Hive unit, and using the same wires?

It might be connected to the 24v side of the boiler, which would fry the pcb. If you open up the receiver side if there’s a link inside, chances are it’s 230v, but if it’s 2 wires then could be the 24v side.

Check if it's connected to X1 (230V) or X106 (24V).

If the former, then yes you can replace it. If the latter, then you will need to make sure the hive is connected to RT on X1 !!

And the eagle eyed person sounds very clever indeed :=)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back