Help please, HIVE - Ordered the wrong one and they wont cancel it

And the eagle eyed person sounds very clever indeed :=)
Oh, indeed. I hear one of the smartest on that other forum.

Anyway, had a quick look at everything and it looks good. Will be able to hook up a Hive no problem.

For anyone interested, you can now pick up Hive heating for £94.25 with free Echo Dot if you use a referral with £40 off (it's on the bottom of the homehive website). And there's a free smart bulb for the referee. You can refer yourself if you have different email addresses, and if you have different postal addresses. Not sure it would work with the same address. Might have to send it to a relative or friend and pick up later.

eQ94Rsg.jpg

g1MLgAl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Forgive my colouring skills, but does this look right? First picture is how the wiring is now (purple = brown), second picture is how to wire up the Hive.

PQp4D7Y.jpg

dchRYFN.jpg

Now I'm puzzled. I thought that you had purchased a dual channel hive by mistake, and it couldn't be changed. Have they exchanged it for a single channel now?, because that's the photo you have posted. The wiring for the dual channel is different!

OH dear that is never gonna work, get someone in , you havent a clue what you are doing

Sponsored Links
Now I'm puzzled. I thought that you had purchased a dual channel hive by mistake, and it couldn't be changed. Have they exchanged it for a single channel now?, because that's the photo you have posted. The wiring for the dual channel is different!

Sorry. Yes, I can get my hands on a single channel now. It should make things less complicated.

Don't panic. It looks OK for the Single Channel, but the the thread is called "help please hive ordered the wrong one and they wont cancel it" but suddenly it's become the 'right one' but you forget to mention it! Blimey you're not too good at supplying information.

First of all you post a drawing without a RT connection, asking for help wire it up.
Capture 1.JPG

In reality you do have an RT connection!
Capture 2.JPG

But, in the end you looks like you got there on your own. If your diagram represents the below you've cracked it.

Grey and Blue wires in Siemens N … go to Hive Dual Channel N

Brown wire in L … goes to Hive Dual Channel L

Brown loop goes between Hive L and Com

Brown wire in LX … goes to Hive Com

Black wire in Siemens L1 … goes to Hive Single Channel 3 (heating on)

Last edited:
Don't panic. It looks OK for the Single Channel, but the the thread is called "help please hive ordered the wrong one and they wont cancel it" but suddenly it's become the 'right one' but you forget to mention it! Blimey you're not too good at supplying information.

First of all you post a drawing without a RT connection, asking for help wire it up.
View attachment 176496

In reality you do have an RT connection!
View attachment 176497

But, in the end you looks like you got there on your own. If your diagram represents the below you've cracked it.

Grey and Blue wires in Siemens N … go to Hive Dual Channel N

Brown wire in L … goes to Hive Dual Channel L

Brown loop goes between Hive L and Com

Brown wire in LX … goes to Hive Com

Black wire in Siemens L1 … goes to Hive Single Channel 3 (heating on)

Sorry, I though I'd mentioned I was going to get a single channel now. My bad.

Unfortunately, the drawing without the RT connector was directly from the Valliant manual. I didn't know there was and RT connection until I opened up the boiler.

Thanks for double checking my wiring. I really was scratching my head as to what I had wired up incorrectly.

I'll post follow up pictures after I get the Hive and install it.

You guys rock!

Well done with swapping it BTW, you won't regret it. The redundant hot water function of the dual channel version often 'bugs' folks.

Well done with swapping it BTW, you won't regret it. The redundant hot water function of the dual channel version often 'bugs' folks.
Out of interest, how would you go about wiring up if it were a dual channel? Where would the wires for Common go?
thumbnail_image1-jpg.114232

Last edited:
The single channel has one single 'voltage free' contact, so that it can be used with any control voltage (eg 24v, 230V). Both parts of the contact are accessible via terminals (1) and (3) so connect 24v to these terminals and it will switch 24v, connect 230V and it will switch 230V. As this version is wired directly to combi boilers it has the voltage versatility they require.

The dual channel Hive is designed for systems with mains voltage components, such as motorised valves controlling the heating and hot water, and Hive is connected to them not to the boiler. These are always mains operated and so there is no need for a 24v option. As there are two channels there wouldn't be enough terminals on a standard backplate to connect the COM's, but as they will only be used on 230V systems one side of the contact (ie com) doesn't need to be accessible and is permanently connected internally to the Live terminal, this is why dual channel Hives can only be used to give a 230V output.

This means that a dual channel can't be connected directly to a boiler as per the drawing you originally posted, where there isn't a 230RT, only 24vRT

rt-jpg.176334

As you do have a 230V RT it could have been connected to the dual channel Hive terminal (4) Heating on. The other side of the contact being already connected to Live internally. But you would have had an irritating hot water control function that didn't do anything.

See the drawing posted earlier by @bernardgreen where the internal link is highlighted in red.

EDIT
There you go, he's posted it again for you below (y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back