Help, problem changing bathroom pull-cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just changed my bathroom light but it isn't working. I followed all the instructions so pretty confident that all is well with the fitting of the light itself. In addition to the light I also had to chage the pulley cord, however, when I took off the casing one of the wires came loose so I wasn;t 100% where it came from. Bascially I have an earth which is still secure where it was originally and I also have 2 live wires ( red ). The switch unit has 3 options, com ( this was still attached so i know one of the wires goes here) and 1 way & 2 Way, however, I am not sure were out of 1 way and 2 way the remaining wire should go in. I have tried both but nothing is happening. Do these units have a built in fuse as prior to changing the light the system blew. Any suggestions would be great.
johyorks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pull cord is correct and should be working providing the switch is not faulty.
Check the light fitting again or give details of the way it is connected and the cables you have.
The fuse will be at the board, no other should be protecting the circuit unless the light is spurred via a fuse connection unit.

Cheers, will have a look at the light fitting again and let you know, its a basic ceiling B&Q job, earth, live and neutral, as mentioned all wires where they should be according to the diagram. As per my orginal question, the live wire I am unsure of in the pulley switch unit has an option to go in either 1way or 2way as the other live wire was in the comm section, which one of these should it go into?
johyorks

Checked the wiring on the light again, seems ok, everything where is should be, I should have checked it worked before I set about the pulley cord, that way I would have known where the problems is. I am still convinced that I something is wrong on the pulley unit, just need someone to confirm what goes where, as mentioned I have 2 live wires ( red) but 3 options where they can go, there are 1) com, 2) 1way & 3) 2way, earth already where is should be and has not moved, any help much appreciated!
johyorks

Sponsored Links
If the com is in as you said, the other red can go in either way and should work.
We need to know what the configurations is at the light fitting?

Light is a B&Q - Lulea Flush Fitting 53619/20/21

I have 3 wires coming from the ceiling, blue, brown and green/yellow.

The wires fit into the back of the bulb socket/unit which is attached to the casing of the light - earth to the outside of the bulb unit on its own screw with an earth sign, neutral to the left of this and live to the right wires to be pushed through 2 small openings, however, I have had to do this backwards as the digram is upside down ( if you know what I mean). My only concern with this is that the live and neutral wires just 'slot' into 2 seperate openings in the rear of the bulb unit, nothing to screw them in or hold them in place so I am unsure if they have gone in far enough?

That's as much as I can tell you, hope I have explained ok?

Cheers

johyorks

Either
The wires are not securely pushed into the light terminals
or
There must be a joint somewhere above the light accomodating several cables.
This may have been disturbed when fitting the light and a wire may be broken.

If you put both red wires at the switch into the same terminal (any one), does the light come on?
If yes - the switch is broken.
If no - the fault is elsewhere.

Managed to fix it, I had assembled the switch back together incorrectly after replacing the cord, although it was 'clicking' it wasn't doing it property, the reason was the small cylinder that the cord threads through was upside down, what an ejit!
Cheers all for the advice!
johyorks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back