HELP, WATERMARKS ON BEECH FURNITURE

Ok you could try living more on the edge (so to speak). Now in common with the boring way we are expected to live in this so called safety concious world, where the only dangerous activity we don't have a safety lecture about, before carrying it out is driving a car, you'd better do this outside.

The way of removing these marks from french polished surfaces, is to pour a little meths onto it and set light to it. NO, COME BACK! you're not supposed to leave it to burn away.

Having set light to it, you watch and when the marks dissapear, you put a cloth over it to put the flames out. Put the flames out anyway if the marks don't fade after say, 1/2 minute.

If you really can't get rid of the marks, gently removing the coating, and retreating is the answer. It's a pity we can't see the problem, but be patient, really dreadful pieces of furniture have been brought back to pristine condition by the right treatment. (Then they distress it to make it look old :LOL:)

Sponsored Links
Wot? Still no joy? I was looking through Millers guide to furniture restoration and they suggested heating 100g of olive oil and then melting 30g of paraffin wax into it. Apply some using a cloth and leave for an hour, then rub off. After that it's down to the glazier to get some glass! Not half as exciting as the previous method though.
Basically you've got to get the oil back into the wood to replace what has been removed by the water. All these methods are essentially a variation on a theme. Even the pyrotechnic one which causes the finish to melt back into the grain. If you're really into a challenge and it's not a large cabinet you could take off the top layer with the wire wool method. Once the varnish is out of the way the rings should come off. Then it's just a question of re-finishing it. Or go and get some glass!

i'm back, i have tried lots , no avail, i have rub that hard that it is showing white underneath, so enough of that, i just finished painting all woodwork in the house, so my job for next week is to go to the glaziers and have some glass cut, hopefully covering up the marks. never, never again will i pay £80.00 for a bedside table. learning all the time as i get older. i think i will make them next time, i made a computer desk as i could not find one suitable and it's perfect, yes i'm female and can build things. living with my partner john who is hopeless at all in the house/garden. i do all, as he say he fixes buses . that's it. oh well i can dream of finding a real man who actually does diy, garden etc. the family call me supergirl. still i enjoy it.

Sponsored Links
.....oh well i can dream of finding a real man who actually does diy,.....

Grass is greener......? If you can do it, that's great, remember the dreams could turn to nightmares, ask Mrs. oilman. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back