New Wooden Headboard Needs Split In 2 Professionally, Joiner Or DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a rented old cottage house type property, the staircase is stupidly designed and only small things can go upstairs ie my bedside cabinets, the 90 degree bend at the bottom makes it impossible for some furniture to get upstairs. I already have had to send a chest of drawers back because they would never get up my stairs. I just received a new double bed and even the main headboard cannot get up my stairs, i already have the bedside cabinets to match my bed so i really want to keep this bed.

Im now thinking i or a joiner could split the main headboard. Can someone please suggest the best way to do this, looking at the design it looks like cutting it vertically and roughly in half would be about right. Can it be done and have almost invisible joints? Please advise ;)

picture upload

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to prize the top board off and then remove the slats and refit when you have it in position. If its well glued a drill on the ends to remove the joints and then replaced with new dowels would work.

I'd be tempted to prize the top board off and then remove the slats and refit when you have it in position. If its well glued a drill on the ends to remove the joints and then replaced with new dowels would work.

Thanks for the reply, What would you suggest is used to prize off the top board, it looks really well glued. Would close up pictures help assess whats needed?

You've got a bit of a nightmare there.....can I ask how the rest of the bed is getting upstairs?
The top rail could be removed with great care, and then the vertical rails dowelled to reassemble -'but you'd need to be well skilled with a saw, drill and plane.
If the headboard was sawn vertically, one possible repair would be to sleeve the join with more timber or maybe brass on reassembly.
Difficult one, either way.....I don't suppose the thing could be slung through a top window?
John :)

Sponsored Links
You've got a bit of a nightmare there.....can I ask how the rest of the bed is getting upstairs?
The top rail could be removed with great care, and then the vertical rails dowelled to reassemble -'but you'd need to be well skilled with a saw, drill and plane.
If the headboard was sawn vertically, one possible repair would be to sleeve the join with more timber or maybe brass on reassembly.
Difficult one, either way.....I don't suppose the thing could be slung through a top window?
John :)

The smaller end got up ok and so did the boxes with the side rails and straps. I dont see any joints at the ends but everything looks well glued, i am thinking a lot of damage could be done trying to prize the top board off.

I know sawing vertically would not be ideal but i think it might minimise damage, the bottom board is not so fussy as its hidden by the mattress. If this method was used would you tend to dowel and glue the joint and put a flat bracket on the back, or would that not be strong enough? I am an engineer/ machinist and i am capable of drilling some dowel holes quite accurately but it might not be accurate enough for this kind of task.

The bedroom windows are not big enough.

You could ask the supplier if they could send you a kit of parts for the head board and take back the one you have.

If you have to cut or dis-joint tryy to keep it at the bottom where any cracks gaps etc will be hidden by the mattress and bedclothes.

bed cut.jpg

Cutting on the red lines will maintain the strength of the legs to support the bed. It would be sensible to use a metal bracing across the joints when the head is board is re-assembled.

And good luck with getting the mattress up the stairs

If the supplier cannot help How about cutting through the base board and the head board ( that looks like just two cuts,) the same with the heel board and base. then fix back together again with right angle brackets hidden under the baseboard, .
Having a similar type of property we had to roll up the mattress width way and tie it up very tightly with straps to get it up our stairs.

image.png

Cut it along the joint lines , then refix with either dowels or slip tenons. You may "lose" a few mm off the height but you won't have any visible cuts when you put it back together. However , I'd be tempted not to glue it back together as you'll have to go through the whole rigmarole to get it down the stairs again.

It'll partially depend on how wide the stairs are, as to how you deal with the problem. I'd be inclined to cut it in half vertically, and then rejoin it using a couple of planks across the back with about 5 screws either side in an up and down pattern. The matress will cover the lower join, and I'm sure you can find something decorative to cover the top one. As has already been mentioned, you need to be able to dissasemble it when you move out.

thinking out loud
is there a handrail you can remove that may give you enough room??
would removing the door or doorstop help ??
or if you have a room opposit at the top off the stairs can it manouver into there first then across

Cut it along the joint lines , then refix with either dowels or slip tenons. You may "lose" a few mm off the height but you won't have any visible cuts when you put it back together. However , I'd be tempted not to glue it back together as you'll have to go through the whole rigmarole to get it down the stairs again.

If i did do that i would need to reduce all the rails as well, thats why i thought cutting it vertically would avoid that problem and lose a few mm horizontally. Yes making it easy to dismantle is another great idea many thanks.

If the supplier cannot help How about cutting through the base board and the head board ( that looks like just two cuts,) the same with the heel board and base. then fix back together again with right angle brackets hidden under the baseboard, .
Having a similar type of property we had to roll up the mattress width way and tie it up very tightly with straps to get it up our stairs.

Are you calling the footboard a baseboard? Its just the headboard im having problems with. Cutting the top and bottom boards/ rails of the headboard was my initial thought but putting it together again so its still sturdy is what i need. Good tip for the mattress i have a new one coming next week so ill try your method.

You could ask the supplier if they could send you a kit of parts for the head board and take back the one you have.

If you have to cut or dis-joint tryy to keep it at the bottom where any cracks gaps etc will be hidden by the mattress and bedclothes.

Cutting on the red lines will maintain the strength of the legs to support the bed. It would be sensible to use a metal bracing across the joints when the head is board is re-assembled.

And good luck with getting the mattress up the stairs

Good idea about contacting the supplier but i dont think they will take an unboxed headboard back, i thought it might help removing the box and turning it leg upwards would help but it was not enough. Cutting on the red lines is a good idea but you would need to reduce all the slate by the same amount or it would not fit.

I already got a heavy ikea double mattress up the stairs when i moved in, it was almost impossible but amazingly with a lots of swearing, heaving and ho'ing it got up the stairs.

I suppose a window can't come out?

windows are too small im afraid

thinking out loud
is there a handrail you can remove that may give you enough room??
would removing the door or doorstop help ??
or if you have a room opposit at the top off the stairs can it manouver into there first then across

Good idea an there is handrails but it would not give me enough room to get it round the steep turn. No other fittings to remove also. Its the bottom of the stairs i cant get round, after that its easy.

It'll partially depend on how wide the stairs are, as to how you deal with the problem. I'd be inclined to cut it in half vertically, and then rejoin it using a couple of planks across the back with about 5 screws either side in an up and down pattern. The matress will cover the lower join, and I'm sure you can find something decorative to cover the top one. As has already been mentioned, you need to be able to dissasemble it when you move out.

Thanks and halving the headboard would be fine to get it up the stairs. I guess something decorative would disguise the top cut and the lower one would be hidden. Your right i do need to do it in a way it can be dismantled again. The plank is a good idea on the back, if it was hardwood and one inch thick it would be nice and strong.

Try Turning the headboard upside down, and start with one of the legs going up the stairs, and then see if it'll twist sideways and upwards. Hardwood would allow 1cm thick, but you want it as wide as possible to alllow you to get screws on the top and the bottom of the piece, that'll stop any rotation of it.

Sponsored Links
Back