Help with bedroom ceiling downlighters not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need help in understanding why my bedroom ceiling downlighters are not working. They are on the same circuit as my bathroom and ceiling fan (these are working). I have pulled the can lights out of the ceiling and checked the junction boxes to see that connections are not loose. I have checked the voltage on the junction boxes and all are on 0Volts. The wall switch for the downlighters is a two switch dimmer switch. Although only one of the dimmer switches controls the ceiling lights. I have checked the voltage coming off the dimmer switches and one of the terminals is always 0 volts (see image) ...does this indicate that the switch is faulty or is it because there is nothing coming off of that switch. If its not the switch - then I'm not sure what else could be wrong??

Sponsored Links
Looks like switch is faulty to me. Temporarily connect the output of your dodgy switch (always 0v) to the working switch output and your lights should work, if they do then switch is faulty

Thanks - I will attempt this...maybe just buy a new two gang dimmer switch

Sponsored Links
What lamps are in the ceiling lights that don't work?

Sometimes a lamp fails and takes the dimmer to heaven with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back