Help with boiler quotes please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had two quotes for new combi boilers, one from British Gas and one from Npower (currently have a conventional one). The British Gas man said that my shower would need to be replaced (mixer, I think) as it would not be powerful enough to take the pressure from the mains (4 bar possibly?) yet the man from NPower didn't mention anything about this....

Also, British Gas man stated that the boiler would need to be moved to a different wall due to outlet issues whereas Npower man said that a small part of the patio could be removed and a soakaway dug. Is there an issue with this - is it likely to cause damp problems or is it a sensible solution considering that I can't really afford to get the kitchen done for at least 10 years?

I have the impression that the British Gas man was trying to fleece me as he stated all the radiator valves would need to be changed as they would be 'weak spots'. However, when he looked at the bathroom rad (about 13 years old) he stated he wouldn't put them on that one as they looked nice (?). Get the feeling he was just trying to get the quote as expensive as possible.....

All help greatly appreciated, thank you.
Kirsty

Sponsored Links
BG are generally the most expensive, though they might send a common or garden subcontractor who isn't being well paid, doing the job.
There CAN be problems with showers, rad valves, rads, sludge in your system and the condensate removal. Often things get done because they MIGHT be a problem later, like weeping valves.
If you find someone (psychic!) who BOTH knows all the answers AND won't try to take advantage, you're doing very well.
I'd suggest you get another quote or two. Ask around for a recommendation.

as chris says ask locally for a better quote try and use an established installer. reg no's of 4 digits = dinosaur installer LOL, 5 digits = old and experienced, 6 digits starting 1 = been around 10+ years. 6 digits starting 2 less than 10 years (approx)

as a good indicator an independant installer will generally be 20% cheaper than BG / NP and will give you better service (although a few are not so caring)

agree with other posters but..................................................

how much were you quoted?
what combi are they quoting for?
what other works are included in quote eg new trvs, powerflushing roomstat, weather compensating controls?

not a fan of shi tish gas or n power but i can`t really say its a poor quote if i don`t know what the quote is! :LOL:

but do post back there are plenty of excellent rgi`s on this forum,all offering free advice.

Sponsored Links
How dare kevindgas suggest any body with a six figure registration number is a newbie!!!! I have a six figure reg number, but have been in the industry servicng Gas & Oil Boilers for 34 YEARS YES! 34, I know because I was there for every one of them how many years have you got under yer belt KEV? :mad:

as chris says ask locally for a better quote try and use an established installer. reg no's of 4 digits = dinosaur installer LOL, 5 digits = old and experienced, 6 digits starting 1 = been around 10+ years. 6 digits starting 2 less than 10 years (approx)

as a good indicator an independant installer will generally be 20% cheaper than BG / NP and will give you better service (although a few are not so caring)

I got a 6 digit number, and many other experienced installers will have a 6 digit number.
Countless people had to re-register because their details were lost, could not be found, had disappeared, or any other number of gasshitregister cockups.

To OP, Chris is spot on.

Avoid BG like the plague, they are overpriced and underskilled. They will rob you blind if you're stupid enough to let them! :evil:

Sounds in this case the BG guy is the one who actually has looked and knows what he is talking about.
Asoakaway will have to be 1m away from building so its not just a little disturbance to your patio also rads need to have thermostats on them

How dare kevindgas suggest any body with a six figure registration number is a newbie!!!! I have a six figure reg number, but have been in the industry servicng Gas & Oil Boilers for 34 YEARS YES! 34, I know because I was there for every one of them how many years have you got under yer belt KEV? :mad:

i didn't suggest anyone with a six figure was a newbie i suggest you re read my post. yes there are a small percentage that for one reason or another reregister but the majority haven't
and in answer to years - 29 years in the industry ! and yes i have a registration starting 1 that is 6 digit as well!

Besides, the number of years you have been working does not necessarily mean a lot.
Plenty of guys around that have been installing for 30 years, and still don't really know how it works. " Me dad used half inch for gaspipe in 1927, and it worked, I have been using 15mm for 20 years, we have always done it that way.
Following that logic, drivers of over 90 would be the best, rather than a danger to themselves and others.

I used to be 39298, took a year off and came back 192644. I feel I've lost my mojo! My old man was below 1000 iirc.

What about me? 40 years at it and my six digit number starts with a 2. It's my third. I had a four digit in the seventies then went to university so let it lapse. Got a nice fiver in late eighties then got infected during an operation. They won't let me have my old numbers back. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back