Help with choosing a 10-way RCBO Consumber Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having my CU moved and upgraded and I have 9 circuits but I would like one RCBO spare.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could recommend a suitable option?

Sponsored Links
Likely your electrician has a preference, I feel all need to comply with regulations, so I go for cheap, so fusebox, but really you should leave this to guy fitting it.

I agree. Your electrician is the person who will know what is available and (probably) carries spares.

I have said this before, when presented with kit that a customer has bought themselves (perhaps to save £5) it is often wrong, or not fit for purpose.
It costs the customer more as I’ll charge by the hour until the right stuff is procured.
Or, and I’ve done this too, I just turn on my heel and go somewhere else.

I appreciate the input, but I would still like to get a feel for what's out there and understand the differences between them. I dont like not knowing why the engineer or fitter has chosen something. I've had bad experience in the past when people have fitted the cheapest rubbish they could find out of sheer laziness.

Sponsored Links
Well, up to you. Will you need an SPD? Do you understand the difference between a type A RCBO and a type AC RCBO? Which do you think you should buy?
Are you planning an EV charging point in the future, what provision will you make for that?
It’s not a simple shopping list.

I appreciate the input, but I would still like to get a feel for what's out there and understand the differences between them. I dont like not knowing why the engineer or fitter has chosen something. I've had bad experience in the past when people have fitted the cheapest rubbish they could find out of sheer laziness.
You can interrogate your electrician to whatever extent you wish in order to gain an understanding of why he/she is recommending whatever they are recommending ... and if they are unable to explain their reasoning clearly enough for you to understand, then you're probably talking to the wrong electrician.

... but don't forget that you are the customer, so that it is ultimately you who determine what is done, and that some of your considerations (and/or views/opinions) may differ from those of a particular electrician. Hence, if you are unhappy with the recommendation of an electrician and he/she is not prepared to do something different, then you can switch to someone who is prepared to do whatever you want.

Kind Regards, John

I have 9 circuits but I would like one RCBO spare.
One spare is nowhere near enough. 4 or 5 would be more usual.
You will also need additional ways so that high loaded circuits can have space next to the RCBOs to avoid them being derated.
A further 1 to 3 ways will be required for the SPD.

For 9 circuits, it's a 16-20 way unit.
There is also the question of whether the 9 circuits you have would be kept that way, or whether some might be split or combined.

Normal priced choices include Wylex, Crabtree, Hager, Schneider.

I rate Hager highly. Some say Fusebox is good, but I've never seen or installed their stuff.

Hager have a very good record for maintaining compatibility, but their AFDD options leave a lot to be desired, while AFDD is not yet a requirement for most installations I can see it becoming one down the line. For health and stop-it folks things are never good enough.

The impression I get is Wylex/crabtree (both brands of the same manufacturer IIRC) are probablly the way to go if you want the best chance of longevity, otherwise go for a cheap brand and accept you may have to change it again down the line :(

One spare is nowhere near enough. 4 or 5 would be more usual.
You will also need additional ways so that high loaded circuits can have space next to the RCBOs to avoid them being derated.
A further 1 to 3 ways will be required for the SPD.

Have to agree with this one, especially the way things are changing these days. I got my Hager unit a few years back, think its a 10 way off the top of my head, now looking at an EV Charger, Heat Pump, Potentially solar, SPD as your not fitting stuff that expensive without it!

In two minds whether to get a bigger CU or just a 2nd one the same and get the supply split between the two.

In saying that when I had the inital CU fitted it was done so there was extra circuits, ie the lighting load for the house (small 2 bed on one level) is probably <200 watts but its over 3 RCBOs so if something trips some areas still have lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back