Help with hot water loss please - marriage at stake!

When I finally had enough of my arm being twisted to look at the aforesaid Worcester, (she was fed up with the poor HW!), I found half a brick wedged in it to 'assist' the divertor valve operation! DV was beyond repair, so new part ordered, fitted, and its still banging out the HW to this day. :D

Sponsored Links
You've been so helpful and with such clear explanations I reckon even I could do the job... However no point in owning a dog then barking yourself, is there?! Many thanks to you all! :D

Sponsored Links
Amazing wot a pair of jugs can do, dont` forget to ask it what time it wants the dog walkin......

I think there are a few points I could add to this discussion.

Firstly, there are a few models but I think your boiler is an electronic ignition with no permanent pilot light and a copper main heat exchanger.

As such they are quite efficient and unlikely to be included in the scrappage scheme.

Secondly, the diverter is a standard Gianonni, however on some models its mostly behind the gas valve and needs a CORGI ( now G-S ) to remove the gas valve before access can be obtained to the diverter valve.

Then if you have got good ratchet bit drivers the diaphragm CAN be changed in situ although its a rather fiddly job.

But the boiler is really overdue for replacement and surely there must be a time to replace it about now.

I have never heard of anyone divorced over a boiler!

Tony

Thanks Tony... Actually I checked on the scrappage list and this model IS definitely included in the scheme - rated as horribly inefficient, even though as you say it has electronic ignition. I do want to replace it and thus not spend any serious money on it, but temporarily just want my hot water back. I gather also that you can't benefit from the scrappage scheme unless your boiler has been deemed 'in working order' anyway?

According to the manual, the diverter is right at the front on the right and looks to be fairly easily accessed - the instructions say that you only need to remove the front panel and electrical control panel/fascia to get to it. No mention of any gas valves needing removal, just water connection pipes (that is if you are replacing the whole part) and obviously switching off the electric supply, so I think we will be ok.

Oh, and of course I'd never divorce my husband over a boiler... not taking the bins out and leaving the toilet seat up maybe?! Love him to bits really though and we've made it through 20 years so far! :D

As I said there are several different models all with the same or similar names on the front.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back