Help With Joist Hangers !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Can someone explain to me how joist hangers work. I've just had some building work done and the builder has told me that I might need to install a couple of joist hangers to add extra strength.

I've popped down to my local Jewsons but I can't find the right joist hanger.

Help

EvoFluff

Sponsored Links
johasphr.jpg

Heavy duty type are fix to the wall
tt_jiffy-hanger.jpg

These type bend over joists

Hi Masona

Here's a quick plan.

FloorJoists1.jpg

I need to support the joist that's not in the RSJ. I've been told I can use joist hangers but I can't see how that's going to support that ??

Any ideas ???

Evofluff

Sponsored Links
Forget the joists hanger for now if I'm reading the plan correctly.

Can you not extend the joist by doubling another joist on the side with nut/bolt with square washer plate plus timber dog connector in between the joist ?
dstc.gif

This drawing below just a example how to join the two timber together using nut/bolt/washer/connector
sstc_in.gif

big-all beat me to it, must learn to type with 2 fingers :LOL:

your pictures are much nicer than my text

the good thing is he now has two people agreeing which very reasuring :D :D :D ;)

just to add my reassurance that will be fine.
I would give it a good 4ft overlap and put 3 or 4 bolts with toothed connectors through, don't forget the connectors its those that take the weight not the bolts.

The simplest and possibly strongest way using the joist hangers is to cut a trimmer to fit between the two joists either side of the short one and hang it with joist hangers to the left and right hand joists and then with another joist hanger fixed to the trimmer it will carry the short joist. Make sure you fully nail the hangers using galvanised clout nails.

I'd go with the trimmer and joist hangers as a first option ,anyway you would find it difficult to get a normal drill in between the joists ,todrill you're holes for the splice :)

Looking at the drawing again, it might be best as Dazb post to use the trimmer resting on the RSJ if the drawing is correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back