Help with thermostat replacement for Centaurplus C27

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think my user name says it all ;)

In short I would like to replace a manual thermostat to a digital one (preferably wireless) which will work with my Centaurplus C27.

If you want more detail: I live in a two bedroom flat and I was lucky enough that (after 3 years) the 35 years old boiler died and the landlord changed it to a basic, but more economic one. He installed a dumb manual timer (Siemens RWB2E) and a manual thermostat. The system is a pumped CH and HW tank (on the same floor as it's a flat) with now separate valves for each system (as I insisted)
I've bought a Centaurplus C27 and replaced the RWB2E but the thermostat is
a) still in the hallway
b) manual with at least 2 degree tolerance (on/off)

So could you guys recommend a way I can fit a digital (preferably wireless) thermostat on this system so I have full control on CH (times AND temperature)?

Thanks ever so much

Sponsored Links
If you want to control time and temperature you will need a 'programmable thermostat' which contains both functions in one unit. However, you would then need to remove and rewire your existing "dumb manual timer" and thermostat.

I wonder why it has to be wireless? Wireless thermostats are generally used for ease to prevent having to run additional cables, but in your case it is likely the correct wires will likely already be in place, but you would have to check first to be sure. In reality there are very few places in a home that meet the requirements for the main thermostat to work properly. Generally it is the hallway. If you locate it in an unsuitable place it just won't work properly.

1. The room thermostat should be in a room that is not effected by other sources of heat such as an open fire, cooking equipment, electrical appliances that generate heat, or direct sunlight. It should also, not be somewhere drafty or too close to a window, especially if it's one you open in the winter.

2. It should be in a cool room, preferably the last to warm up.

3. The radiator in the room with the thermostat should not have a TRV fitted. Otherwise the room thermostat may never switch off.

4. It's height should be about 1.5 metres from the floor, and not close to, or above a radiator.

5. Preferably it should not be on an outside wall, (although if you have a new build, with well insulated walls, this is not quite so crucial)

6. It should be in an area where air can circulate easily, not behind curtains, or furniture.

So in summary, if you are looking to improve the accuracy, I would suggest that you simply change the existing wired thermostat for a high accuracy one. It will be cheaper, and simpler.

Hi stem,
thank you for taking the time for such a detailed write up.

If you want to control time and temperature you will need a 'programmable thermostat' which contains both functions in one unit. However, you would then need to remove and rewire your existing "dumb manual timer" and thermostat.
I have already changed the "dumb timer" to a digital two channel one, which is a Centaurplus C27. The next step should be the thermostat.

I wonder why it has to be wireless?
It doesn't have to be wireless, but the living room qualifies for all the points you've made and it would be more convenient to control the temperature from there. But it's not a problem if it stays in the hallway at all.

I thought the Centaurplus C27 would oversee the HW bit of the circuit and the CH would be permanently ON as far as the timing concerned (eg I would program CH on the Centaurplus C27 to be ON from 5.00 till 22.00) and then the digital thermostat would do the actual controlling over the CH like
1. 5.00-8.00 20 C
2. 8.00-16.00 18 C
3. 16.00-22.00 20 C

Is that doable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back