Help with three gang two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I replaced my white switches with some nicer BG ones, but in doing so I seemed to have messed up the three gang two way switch which was working as a one way switch.

The switch controlled two seperate ceiling lights and one pair of wall lights. The situation I have now is the switch on the right seems to control power to other two. If that is not on, then the other switches will not work.

To compund matters all the wires used are brown and there are no labels.

I have one wire coming from the wall into the com port on the top right, with additional wires used to create a link to the centre com and from there to the com on the left.

I then have two wires coming from the wall into the L1 at the top, and two additional single wires from the wall into each of the L1s at the bottom.

The switch order is fine i.e. the left switch operates the light on the left hand side of the room etc. so I'm guessiing it is the com which is the issue - but I'm not sure what I did wrong in re-wiring. :confused:

** Edit ** I've uploaded a couple of pics. There are five cables coming down into this switch.

Sponsored Links
As you say the problem is with the com terminals and the small link wires.

The middle switch on your new switch maybe upside down when compared to the old switch which may have confused you.

The link wire on the first switch (right) needs to come from the other end of the switch (so this switch doesn't need to be on to allow the others to work)

Thanks Andy - I've added some pics.

Things are a little more clear for me now. The middle switch has two cables in L1 as I have two seperate wall lights (duh!)

To clarify, the wire that is currently in the com port on the right should be going into the left?

Sponsored Links
There should be an earth wire between the front plate metal terminal and the green/yellows for safety.

On the right hand switch (the one controlling all lights).
Swap the two wires which go into to the wall. You can see they are kinda crossed over.

Leave the link wires where they are

Thanks Andy - that did the trick!

Should I be concerned about the lack of earth wire? None of the switches have these and I've just had it all rewired!

So yes you should fix it.

So yes you must fix it

On all of the light switches etc that have metal plates.

Get whoever did the rewire back and make him comply with the Manufacturer's Instructions and BS7671.

On the Installation Certificate that he gave you :?: he will have signed to say that the work he has done complies with the Wiring Regulations, and it doesn't.

So yes you should fix it.
So yes you must fix it ... On all of the light switches etc that have metal plates. ... Get whoever did the rewire back and make him comply with the Manufacturer's Instructions and BS7671. ... On the Installation Certificate that he gave you :?: he will have signed to say that the work he has done complies with the Wiring Regulations, and it doesn't.
It's all a bit confusing. Although the OP says that he has "just had it rewired", this whole thread exists because...
I replaced my white switches with some nicer BG ones, but in doing so ...
... so it sounds as if the house was recently rewired with 'white' (presumably plastic) switches but, soon after that, the OP has been replacing the (presumably new) plastic switches with metal ones! If that is the case, then your criticisms of the electrician would presumably not be appropriate?

Kind Regards, John

Assuming you had plastic switch plates before, your electrician should have connected the earth wires to the metal back box earth terminal, to ensure the metal back box was earthed.

The new metal faceplates MUST be connected to earth.

Why did the electrician fit those bloody silly 'Wago' connectors?

Standard 15 amp connector blocks would have done the job nicely, and left more space in the back box.

Young chap, was he?

RF...You use Wago's. Are you a young chap?

Secure...You use Wago's. Are you a young chap?

No, Secure. I'm 48.

Old enough to talk to meself, anyhoo...

Secure, I'll talk to you. Come and sit over here near the fire.

There's nothing wrong with them new fangled Wago jobbies. I use lots of them, and I'm ancient now.

Eh? What?
Is it time for my walk?

Thanks. I need to warm my arthritic joints.

You know, when I was an apprentice, everyone said PPE was for cissys and if you wore it you were not a "real" man.

Boy, like me, I bet they all regret it now...

I'll walk with you if you like. But I'm really slow, especially as I've just had this major foot surgery, so you'll have to forgive me for hobbling along...

If I struggle on the way back, don't worry, I've got my free bus pass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back