Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changing oil in my Mitsibishi 3000GT, I was tightening the sump plug back up, never really got as tight as I would have liked so I kept turning it.
Now it's tight enough not to leak but I can turn it with a spanner in both directions relatively easily and it won't come back off, just turns and turns.
Got oil back into car and everything fine, but next time I change the oil don't know how I'll get the plug out..
Don't tell me I need a new sump...?
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
if your lucky you may have just stripped the plug,you will have to get it out and see.i wouldnt leave it if it turns with a spanner or it could end in disaster

Changing oil in my Mitsibishi 3000GT, I was tightening the sump plug back up, never really got as tight as I would have liked so I kept turning it.
Now it's tight enough not to leak but I can turn it with a spanner in both directions relatively easily and it won't come back off, just turns and turns.
Got oil back into car and everything fine, but next time I change the oil don't know how I'll get the plug out..
Don't tell me I need a new sump...?
Any ideas?
You need a pair of self gripping pliers (molegrips) exert a downward bias while unscrewing the plug.
Hopefully it will just be the threads on the plug that have stripped, if it's the sump threads that have stripped, then you could possibly have it retapped to the next size up, and fit a larger plug.

Wotan

Get it sorted immediately, if it should drop out whilst driving, you will not have much time to react before it wrecks your engine.

Sponsored Links
"Now it's tight enough not to leak"

Wouldn't be so sure when it's under pressure and at operating temp.

ali sump and steel plug....... bet i know which one the threads have stripped in

....never really got as tight as I would have liked....

but did you get it as tight as the recommended torque wrench setting?

If you have to exceed the recommended torque there's something else wrong, like your new sealing washer is the wrong type, the seal is dirty or damaged, or there's some grit trapped under it.

Sounds like it could be repaired with a 'Helicoil' thread insert. That needs the correct size insert and the correct tools to fit it. You can buy kits, but it's probably easier and cheaper to find a garage that's equipped to do the work.

Re- tapping to take an oversize plug would require an oversize plug and washer, maybe even a custom made one. you may get a stock size bolt to fit, but it would probably benefit from having the underside of the head faced up in a lathe It may not be possible if the seating land on the sump for the seal isn't wide enough to take a larger washer.

Welding up the hole and re-tapping to the correct size is another possibility, but that would mean removing the sump to work on it.

Or get a new sump....

I definitely would not risk using an engine with a stripped sump plug - that's inviting a big disaster!

....never really got as tight as I would have liked....

but did you get it as tight as the recommended torque wrench setting?

If you have to exceed the recommended torque there's something else wrong, like your new sealing washer is the wrong type, the seal is dirty or damaged, or there's some grit trapped under it.

Sounds like it could be repaired with a 'Helicoil' thread insert. That needs the correct size insert and the correct tools to fit it. You can buy kits, but it's probably easier and cheaper to find a garage that's equipped to do the work.

Re- tapping to take an oversize plug would require an oversize plug and washer, maybe even a custom made one. you may get a stock size bolt to fit, but it would probably benefit from having the underside of the head faced up in a lathe It may not be possible if the seating land on the sump for the seal isn't wide enough to take a larger washer.

Welding up the hole and re-tapping to the correct size is another possibility, but that would mean removing the sump to work on it.

Or get a new sump....

I definitely would not risk using an engine with a stripped sump plug - that's inviting a big disaster!

+1 dont drive it like that it WILL dump the oil and wreck the engine .

you could seal the plug on with liquid mettal + alraldite but this is a tempoary bodge and if you do it right you will be needing a new sump or the old one removing and reworking.

in case you missed it the first time TEMPOARY BODGE :D

Regardless of how gentle your driving style is it needs to be sorted straight away. It's going to be an expensive and regrettable event if you do lose oil pressure.

Also be aware that all the swarf from any repair to the sump thread MUST be cleaned out of the sump. You can buy "flushing oil" it would be worth pouring a couple of gallons through to wash any bits out if the sump cant be removed in situ.

If you are keeping the car a new sump is the only way to go, that and buying a torque wrench for future jobs.

Good luck.

John

Sump off and replace. :(
just get a second hand one Ebay Eurospec2000 may have one
Helicoils in through holes tend to wind in again :(

Sponsored Links
Back