Henley block tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had an argument with an otherwise reasonably good electrician. I said that the Henley block he fitted should have the tails entering in the bottom. He says there's no regulation and therefore no risk - wants 80quid to swap it over if I request it. My dad (who is a retired electrician) says that the box will slowly fill with dust and create a risk of causing a fire. :eek:

Do any of the resident experts know who's right? Is this a real risk, or not? How do I backup my argument since "me and my dad say so" isn't very strong and will cost me 80quid! :(

The only thing I could think of was to find manufacturers installation instructions (which he obviously binned 'cos these things aren't rocket science) and claim he hasn't fitted according to those... Obviously I can't find any on t'internet now... :rolleyes:

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
im not sure on if theres any regs, but i have never known dust to be flammable?

I doubt if the gap around the cable would meet IP4X without some form of additional sealing so it may not meet the regs.

I can't remember the reg number....but someone will

Sponsored Links
Henely blocks are designed to leave no gap when the sheath is butted into the funnel shaped terminal (using 16mm and 25mm DI). Obviously only the required knockouts are removed.

I can't believe you are questioning a spark on something so pedantic. If I took the phone call I would think it was wind up.

The gap should meet IP4X as with other enclosures.
If it does not then I would suggest sealing with silcone at the top.

I too would think its a wind up if asked to come back for something like this. Sounds a bit like your Dad's frustrated that he's not "allowed" to do this work any more ;)

Hey guys, don't knock my dad's qualifications and experience - that's a little unfair! :eek: Anyway...

Thanks for the advice folks. For ref, it's a 100A 5way DP block, don't know if that makes a difference. Sounds like the consensus is that buildup of dust in the block isn't an issue and shouldn't happen anyway. Perhaps the old blocks of my dad's era used to leave more space around the entry holes...?

anyway, I'm happy to tell my wife that the house isn't about to burn down!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back