Henley Block

there's nothing in the HSAWA or the EAWR that says you have to be qualified to do electrical work.. just competent.. or under the supervision of someone competent.

as for Part P, since there is no mention of his whereabouts, or the location of the job, then we have no idea if it comes under the jurisdiction of part P.. it's not a global thing you know.. north of the border and he doesn't have to wory about it..

he asks a perfectly reasonable question for someone who's never used a henley block before, and for someone who has never seen one in real life..

from the picture he couldn't work out where the neutrals went, and asked.. for all he knows, it's just a bad camera angle and there's a second block hidden by the first..

he also says "similar" to the one in the photo..

Sponsored Links
true he does not need to be qualified, but do you not think it is a basic lack of knowledge to ask this question?
insnt that dangerous in it self?

Perhaps it does show a lack of knowledge, but at least he thought about what he was doing, and bothered to ask questions, instead of just ploughing in there regardless.

The OP is now better informed, and has realised that the job has more implications than he originally thought. Surely that is a good thing?

until you've done something, you don't know exactly how to do it..

you might have a general idea.

if you'd never been in a car before, and someone told you there were 3 pedals, how would you know which did what? you ask the question..

at least he asked before blundering about and just doing it..

like I said above, if you've never used henleys before and only have a picture to go by, how do you know how to use them.. you ask..
which is what he did..

Sponsored Links
Looks like someones making things up . Do you like adding things and taking things out of peoples conversations.

I can see your a newbie.

mst. maybe i should post my NAPIT login details and let people see for themselfs.

mst. are you not a 7 day Wonderboy with 17th yourself

markspark says. its a shame these idiots dont read a book on diy electrics (the words are to long)for their small brains.

mark. says i'm surprised he didnt think the main earth didnt connect into the middle terminal of the henley block.
i think we might have some fun on that forum

Devspark
I am not a member of the diy forum. If you wish to copy and paste this opinion of you on that forum, then feel free to do so.
Having followed the link, seen the picture and read the question.
Im amazed that people of such utter incompetence are being guided by the likes of yourself, when they are so blatently out of their depth.
You and others giving advise to someone knowing this and encouraging them to take on these jobs, that are well beyond their capabilities
is foolish to say the least
I have and always will assist anyone who is trying to improve themselves in the electrical trade, but there is a stepladder of capabilities as you may know that must be followed.
People begin with the basic simplest of tasks and knowledge and steadily improve their skill with each step.
To give advise to someone who has the supply side of the installation in mind to perform, when their capabilities are no where near this standard . The question he posted gives testimony to this
It borders on reckless to say the least
People from this forum seemed to have descended onto the diy forum and on this topic. not from what I can see being high handidness or contempt or other ,but with total astonishment that advise that is dangerous to persons and or property can be so freely bandied around
I also notice that you have monitored this forum and are relaying conversations from here onto that forum
You are unknown to me and others.
I would be interested to know what qualification you have to give such encouradement and advise.
Some people use multiple usernames in order to remain annonymous because they do not have the confidence to debate these type of issues with people who are open to argument
Please be brave enough to post on this site with your opinions so that the error of your ways can be explained more fully to you
Phill

I have changed my mind and will try to register and post this so that users of that forum can feel the concern that practicing sparks have with regard to the proposed task and the encouragement that has been given and that they should be discouraged from copying these foolish tasks until they have the understanding and skill required

Close Window

mst, please could you add an email address to your profile page?

Hi RF ;)

Done, bear in mind this is a address i never use so wont pick anything up in the future. but will keep an eye out for 2 days.

blah blah blah blah blah.

I have changed my mind and will try to register and post this so that users of that forum can feel the concern that practicing sparks have with regard to the proposed task and the encouragement that has been given and that they should be discouraged from copying these foolish tasks until they have the understanding and skill required
Let me introduce you to Plan B, Phil.

Goodbye, close the door on your way out.

ban-all-sheds
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2008 23:23 Post Subject:
phillron wrote:
blah blah blah blah blah.

Let me introduce you to Plan B, Phil.

Goodbye, close the door on your way out.

Just looked in on this forum to gauge any respose that may have been made
I found unfortunately that the only response has been by the post quoted above
In the absence of reasoned argument Some people try humor or attempt ridicule
The pathetic response by this member and the lack of response by any other with the capability of having a point of view shows that the ignorant are unfortinately being led by the even more ignorant
I hope that those of you with an interst in electrical installation will have read and taken notice of the shallow discussion given over by members of your forum who gave such dangerous advise to one of your members
and was unwilling or unable to back up that advise
So I will repeat my own advise Take on board that electrical installation can be rewarding but that it is a very dangerous tool in the wrong hands
Do tasks that you are completely confident in and perform tasks that are beyond you at your peril
I will not post on this subject again and hope that you take the advise that has been freely offered and refrain from following or being guided by those who would enganger you
Phill
w

I found unfortunately that the only response has been by the post quoted above
Give it time - I'm sure other people will respond appropriately to your introductory post.

In the absence of reasoned argument Some people try humor or attempt ridicule
But I have no interest in trying reasoned arguments with you, as it is difficult to remove by reason ideas not put there by reason in the first place.

The pathetic response by this member and the lack of response by any other with the capability of having a point of view shows that the ignorant are unfortinately being led by the even more ignorant
No - what it shows is that if you wish to come here and offer helpful advice to people you will be more than welcome, but if you've come here just on a crusade to discourage then you won't be...

I will not post on this subject again
Good-oh.

Remember the door this time.

I think the whole nature of this discussion could be summed up by making a simple comparison:

If I were to ask what is the best way to pull off a bank job or dispose of a body and I got constructive responses......

I'm sure you can see the point. Maybe a little dramatic but we professional electricians are a sensitive lot who hate to see our trade simplified to the lowest common denominator thus removing the science and, more importantly, the dangers that can be created.

I would like to say I too respect the decision by the OP to back out of the job and hope that DIYers take heed and think about realistic limits to their abilities as far as electrical work is concerned- just because something works it doesn't automatically mean it is safe!

I have witnessed first hand the results of a terminal carrying a high load that wasn't tightened enough. It's not a good look and can prove to be very expensive (best case).

Good luck out there. ;)

Moderator 8 said:
None of the new posters have IP addresses which match that of an existing user.
Not exactly rocket science to have more than 1 ISP...

If I were to ask what is the best way to pull off a bank job or dispose of a body and I got constructive responses......

I'm sure you can see the point.
No - what I can see is another scaremongering electrician who has decided to join this forum for no reason other than to express his wildly exaggerated fears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back