herd immunity for EU 446m population likely to be reached by mid July

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
800 million doses will be available in the second semester

Europe will be the continent producing the most vaccines by the end of the year

Sponsored Links
If the same timescale applies to the UK (and the rest of the world), then well done the 'herd'...

From those who won't have to get/don't want a jab! (y)

It's a bit like gym membership though, Notch. You have to actually go in and exercise to get fit! 800 million in a fridge ...

Sponsored Links
At the current rate the EU will vaccinate 70% by December so how on earth can they achieve herd immunity by July,even the Uk who are far ahead of EU won't vaccinate 70% till early August.

At the current rate the EU will vaccinate 70% by December so how on earth can they achieve herd immunity by July,even the Uk who are far ahead of EU won't vaccinate 70% till early August.
The clue is in your own comment.
Reread notch's comment to see the explanation.
:rolleyes:

It's a bit like gym membership though, Notch. You have to actually go in and exercise to get fit! 800 million in a fridge ...
Vaccination rates in Europe have expanded a great deal now, hopefully it should start to help them reduce the third wave. I certainly hope so - for their sake....and the UK too.

This country needs our closest neighbours to reach herd immunity or it will inhibit our ability to get back to normal.

The public health messaging in some European countries, notably France and Italy has been terrible.....they seem to be addressing that now.
The precautionary approach they've taken has not been a sensible balance of risk.

France has been doing around 400k a day over the last week

Germany was doing upto 600k a day over last week

https://www.ft.com/content/4650a1c3-65f8-4708-8977-f4bcfc93d608

Herd immunity is different from vaccination percentage.
There are differing views on it, there are some claims UK is on cusp of herd immunity now.
I've no doubt variants muck up the modelling.

UK expects to vaccinate everybodynover 18 by end of July

The UK is also likely to achieve it in July - all adults vaccinated. There are slight signs that they are achieving this by providing 2nd jabs at a slower rate than they initially intended. There are still a lot of questions concerning effectiveness especially long term.

Didn't catch all of it but the EU appear to have placed and enormous order with Pfizer over an extended period. Boosters I wonder ?????? I did catch the comment that it makes sense to put the money where the technology is - in the EU as I read that. Given what has happened with AZ and the Indian Serum Institute it does make sense to place orders locally.

The public health messaging in some European countries, notably France and Italy has been terrible.....they seem to be addressing that now.
The precautionary approach they've taken has not been a sensible balance of risk.
In my opinion most of western EU nations message has been relatively simple and consistent.
Limited to trips outside only with a document with your name, address and reason for being out, etc. Limited to up to 10/30 k from home, etc.
Schools closed, workers furloughed, etc.
I agree there have been silly mistakes such as Macron's AZ slip up which was hastily corrected. But the AZ blood clot situation has been well covered here in France. It's only belatedly been addressed in UK after they denied it was an issue.

In contrast the UK message has been so confusing that even experts have been caught out. Don't go out unless you go out. And if you do go out, don't go out.

There have been mistakes all round. but in my opinion, the worst mistakes have been by BJ: shaking hands with all and sundry against expert advice, delaying lockdowns, returns to school and gearing up for testing in schools only for schools to close again after one week, etc, etc.
It has only been the vaccination progress in UK that has produced the saving grace, despite Boris claiming it had little effect on the progress of the pandemic.

No, I think you may have confused herd immunity with vaccination percentages.
70% is the minimum target most if not all experts agree on,and is also a EU target, maybe your'e the confused one thinking having a stockpile of vaccines will scare the virus away.

Sponsored Links
Back