Hiding a gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I intend to put an Vaillant 838 in my loft (as a side topic any views on the 838 would be appreciated). I have done the calcs and have determined it will require the fitting of a new gas feed up the outside of the house.

I just wondered if it was possible to hide the gas pipe within a 40mm waste pipe so it matches the other pipes running up the house. One plumber have advised me it's possible, but I'd like to get a second opinion from the experts on this board.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Think you`ll find it`ll need to be painted yellow - with a black band at the end near where it goes through the wall to the boiler - make sure it`s not upright - use some old iron spiked hooks to hold it to the wall - and remove half a brick where it goes through - so that everyone Knows it`s a gas fitter`s done it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes it's possible,just keep the ends open.

You should just about get 35mm copper inside a black 40mm solvent waste.can't expect your size will need to be more than 28mm so 32mm waste will do it.

Think you`ll find it`ll need to be painted yellow - with a black band at the end near where it goes through the wall to the boiler - make sure it`s not upright - use some old iron spiked hooks to hold it to the wall - and remove half a brick where it goes through - so that everyone Knows it`s a gas fitter`s done it :LOL:

Think you'll find gas pipes only need to be identified in commercial
Installations.

in what way? two big or too small?

I calculated I require 3.55 m3/h extending my existing 22mm run (including elbows and bends would give me an effective run of 13.5m. I calculate this to give a 0.9mbar drop. With a large (5 ring burner) hob also on the run I cannot use this route - so I have to run up the wall.

Does that make sense or have a made an error.

I'm not sure how you can say it's wrong without knowing the effective pipe length? Thanks for the help though....

how are you going to secure the gas pipe every 2.5m if it is inside a plastic pipe, why are you covering it, for looks or protection? if for protection you would be better fitting steel,

Just for looks.

If securing the pipe every 2.5 is a requirement then I cannot do it.

I will secure the waste pipe every 1-1.5m, but I appreciate this is not the same as securing the gas pipe.

Are you saying I cannot do it then?

calculations apart, you can cut the wastepipe along its length...cut out/drill (before cutting it would be easier) for the clips that support the gas pipe, and snap it over the top ?

that way its vented and your house looks... errrrrr... better ?

thanks - that's a good idea. I could line up the waste pipe clips with the gas clips.

If I do that I can also fit the waste pipe afterwards if I don't like the look of the gas pipe.

Thanks all - still intrigued as to why my calcs are wrong, but at least I know I can cover it now.

Cheers - Craig.

Yes - it's the 838.

I calculated it as :- Kw/CV = litres/sec
litres/sec *3.6 = m3/hr

i.e 38/38.5 (assuming 6m3/h supply) * 3.6 = 3.55m3/hr

The pipework is 22mm at the meter - it travels along the outside wall for 1m and then elbows in to the house - it runs behind the kitchen cupboards to a downstairs toilet (approx 4m) where it is elbowed upwards next to the soil stack to the first floor. I will need to extend this to the loft giving a total vertical distance of approx 4-5 meters. I then plan to mount the boiler on the same wall that the gas enters - so I need to go back another 4m + a couple of elbows. All in all this totals approximately 13.5 meters

Have I made an error?

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back