High Petrol Prices Are A Good Thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having driven large German cars for many years, I have found that as traffic levels have increased it was getting more difficult to find parking spaces with sufficient length to accommodate such big cars.
Now that petrol prices have risen to become unaffordable to many, I find that as fewer people are driving, there are now far more suitable spaces. As other people are forced to buy smaller and smaller cars, the situation can only improve for us large car drivers.
When travelling into town to shop, or even for entertainment in the evening, I no longer have to drive around to find a space. I can even get to park near my favourite restaurants.
Also, I find that local trades people have dropped their sky high labour rates, presumably as a result of the credit crunch. One local plumber can be employed for £17 per hour! So the credit crunch isn't so bad after all.
I can only conclude that if people are going green, then large car owners will benefit. I think the slogan should be 'save the planet, so that we can have somewhere to drive our cars'!
Do others have similar experiences?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with the size of cars just that people are staying home more. Basically the country is drifting into recession. Glad you like that idea.

hmm yeah.
Good for the people in rural areas with no bus service because of council cut backs, no post office because of government cut backs, no local shop because of the supermarket 10 miles away, no pub because of the price of drink, need i go on :?: :?:

Having driven large German cars for many years, I have found that as traffic levels have increased it was getting more difficult to find parking spaces with sufficient length to accommodate such big cars.
Now that petrol prices have risen to become unaffordable to many, I find that as fewer people are driving, there are now far more suitable spaces. As other people are forced to buy smaller and smaller cars, the situation can only improve for us large car drivers.
When travelling into town to shop, or even for entertainment in the evening, I no longer have to drive around to find a space. I can even get to park near my favourite restaurants.
Also, I find that local trades people have dropped their sky high labour rates, presumably as a result of the credit crunch. One local plumber can be employed for £17 per hour! So the credit crunch isn't so bad after all.
I can only conclude that if people are going green, then large car owners will benefit. I think the slogan should be 'save the planet, so that we can have somewhere to drive our cars'!
Do others have similar experiences?

IMO thats rubbish. Tradesmen charge what they do to pay their wages, and cover their overheads. Petrol goes up, so their running costs go up, they ARENT GOING TO DROP THEIR PRICES*!!! Maybe that particular plumber is just rubbish at his job so has to charge less to get any work. He probably lives on pennies, unless he walks to jobs.

And despite high petrol prices there are more cars on the road than ever before. Perhaps your experience with parking spaces was due to the time of day / week. Perhaps that area you parked in is suffering from a fall in trade due to other local factors.

Dont blame everything on petrol prices, even if it is good. :rolleyes:

*Yes I appreciate many large companies are in price wars at the moment, notably supermarkets, but in the case of supermarkets, for every price they lower and shout about, they must increase the price of 20 more. They are all cost cutting.

If petrol was cheaper then people would drive around more, so therefor they wouldn't park as much , so then you would have more parking spaces.

If petrol was cheaper then people would drive around more, so therefor they wouldn't park as much , so then you would have more parking spaces.
But people drive to a destination. More people driving = more destination parking spaces required.

Or do people nowadays leave home, drive for an hour and return home? Am I missing out here? Is this the latest craze? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back