Highway power supplies?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know April fools day is a couple of weeks away but I thought i'd share a couple of pictures with you lot . . .

These were taken round the corner from my house in September last year:
View media item 9610 View media item 9611

Hmm 'those wires look suspiciously like they might be live . . . ' I thought. A week or so later:
View media item 9615 :eek:

It was still like that the last time I was home in January

Then, in about November last year I spotted this about half a mile from my flat:

View media item 9616
It's some kind of heavy-duty cloth thing (also note the upside down warning tape!)

Who's responsible for this stuff?

Sponsored Links
Nice.

At one point most of the lamp stantions in my village were missing, probably owing to their die-cast aluminium construction :rolleyes:

Its normally ultimately county council highways departments responsability, or whoever they sub the job out to - ABB and the like.

There's a little box thing like your first picture on my way to work, no cover on it with live cables and bodgy looking choc-blocks hanging out, in a good wind they move about and you used to get some nice sparks, but someone has since flipped the trip on the box to off (or more likely, it tripped itself).

Been like that for about 6 months now, and I've reported it pretty much every week or two since I first noticed it... people brush their legs against the cables every day and it's facing a bus stop, quite often see little kids pulling at it whilst their parents are waiting for a bus.

Its not that unusual I'm afraid, I think its about time Panorama, Tonight or the like did a feature on this sort of thing, sureley people have been injured/killed by this sort of thing before?

Sponsored Links
If you report it to the council highways department they will have the electrician on call out on site within two hours.
If they dont respond within this time then they are in the sh*t big time.
Other problem we have is people see doors of and wires exposed and do nothing about it just walk past.
When we attend a door off we have to make safe by fitting a temp door with banding tape and sometimes we bag it up and wrap cable marker tape around it.

Ooo... what kind of sh*t?
I've been reporting it to TfL as apparently Islington council don't have anything to do with street furniture.

Now I may be completely wrong here but I though the Police are responsible for public safety and in the case of an accident they would be responsible to prevent public from touching live parts until the owner could be contacted?

So should that not be reported to police. Same as with missing man hole cover?

The bus shelter near my mothers has similar damage and exposure. Has been that way for nearly 2 years, little toddlers are always flicking the RCD until I point out to parents that it is very probably live!!!!

Very well to do area but has never been fixed, next time I am down I will call the police and wait until they arrive, might get in the Nottingham Evening Post!!!

Will bookmark that website, very useful to know.

OR attach an extension lead to it, going off into some nearby building and then report it, I'm sure they would be interested then, and then make it safe... lol

I don't think he's in france anymore than one of the regulars is inthe congo..

for a start the thing is wired in the UK colours, secondly the warning tape is in english..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back