Hive installation on a Potterton Powermax HE (split off another thread)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'Hive installation on a Potterton Powermax HE'

I have the same boiler and looking to install Hive. Do you have to extend the wiring to be able to mount the receiver somewhere?

Thanks,

A

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
You’d have to be a little more specific than that. Extend which wiring?

Hi,

Apologies. I want to install a Hive dual receiver. I’m pretty sure I know which wires from the boilers internal programmer go into the Hive receiver. Bit of a knobby question but do I run new wires from the bottom of the junction boxes in to the Hive receiver? I’ve attached a photo of the internal programmer wiring.

To complicate things the previous owners have also installed a second programmer but it doesn’t control the hot water so I’m guessing I can’t just remove that programmer and wire the Hive receiver in its place as there are no wires there for the hot water.

Any advice gratefully received. Dads a plumber but want to see if I can do it without having to ask him!

Cheers.

Attachments

• EB9CF673-9D23-4893-B7D7-5FD0FA83D999.jpeg
    EB9CF673-9D23-4893-B7D7-5FD0FA83D999.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 443
If you want to install a Dual Channel Hive to control the heating and hot water

aa.JPG

Then as well as connecting Hive N and L to the boiler Mains N & L, the Dual Channel Hive connects to HWR (Hive 3 Hot water on) and CHR (Hive 4 Central heating On) after removing the existing purple and yellow links already in these terminals.

The existing thermostat wiring is removed and a link inserted between TR and TL

Sponsored Links
Cheers Stam, that confirms my thinking. Looking at a previous forum post on this the poster followed this, is that correct:

N2" to Terminal N on Hive
"L2" to Terminal L on Hive
"HWl" to Terminal 1 Hot Water Off (NC) on Hive
"HWr" to Terminal 3 Hot Water On (NO) on Hive
"CHl" to Terminal 2 Heating Off (NC) on Hive

"CHr" to Terminal 4 Heating On (NO) on Hive

And then make a loop between Tr and Tl

If you want to do this you MUST disable the internal programmer, it is a slide switch and if you dont set it to off the Hive will not control the boiler

Cheers Stam, that confirms my thinking. Looking at a previous forum post on this the poster followed this, is that correct:

N2" to Terminal N on Hive
"L2" to Terminal L on Hive
"HWl" to Terminal 1 Hot Water Off (NC) on Hive
"HWr" to Terminal 3 Hot Water On (NO) on Hive
"CHl" to Terminal 2 Heating Off (NC) on Hive

"CHr" to Terminal 4 Heating On (NO) on Hive

And then make a loop between Tr and Tl

You don't need connections to HWL or CHL. They are simply a live supply for use by a programmer that has voltage free switching. Hive already has an internal link to its own L terminal, so no additional live supply is needed.

@ianmcd is correct there is a switch to move across, sorry I forgot to mention it.

Capture.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back