Hive Single channel to Glowworm 38CXi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've trawled through here and not found a thread that precisley matches my setup so rather than break rules and tag onto other posts have started this one!

Has anyone got any experience wiring the hive single channel heating system to a glowworm 38cxi combi? I currenlty just have a rotary sunvic tlx 2251 thermostat (on 24v I believe) wired in/to elsewhere in the house, I have picked up I need to wire possibly the RT24v to input 1 and 3 on the hive wiring frame - but is that it? No earth, no voltage introduced anywhere? Read bits about not introducing or bridging something else in this setup but am a bit mixed up between the two channel advice people gave and this one (single channel).

Anyone that's done this already their view would be most appreciated!!

many thanks

Sponsored Links
No the hive needs a live and neutral it has an earth parking terminal but doesnt do anything so doesn't need an earth

Thanks, a live and neutral fed from where though? ( guess this needs someone with this boiler! )

Sponsored Links
If you have to open up a room sealed compartment to access any wiring terminals, then this job is not suitable for DIY, and should be done by a Gas Safe engineer who can make sure it is properly sealed up again afterwards. So, only if it is safe to do so..

If your boiler wiring looks as below, and you as you are using the 24V thermostat connections they are labelled "voltage free heating controls connection" [ie they are not connected to 230V mains voltage]

22.JPG

GW.JPG

The programmer is optional so may not be present. If it is there, it will need to be set to be permanently 'on' 24/7 after the Hive is installed.

The Hive N & L connects to the boilers N & L permanent mains supply.

The Hive Single Channel version (1) 'Common' and (3) 'Heating On' connect to the two terminals marked "voltage free heating controls connection" in the place of the existing thermostat. (the link will have been removed when the original thermostat was installed) It doesn't matter which way around they go.

You may read other threads that mention adding links to the Hive, you shouldn't do this as you will put 230V on to the 24V circuits and the results will not be good!

If the existing thermostat is wired to the 230V control circuit and not 24V then things will be different.

Thanks Stem I think that all makes sense on the thermo connection points (although I don't seem to have the same wiring config as the illustration - I can see a 24v point marked as x19 but that h=has three wires currently

Re:the N&L same supply as boiler though - is there another wiring connection to piggy onto the boilers mains supply (ie presented as a block like the heating control connector or something deeper required e.g. to however the boiler is physically powered currently closest wall point?) I.e. behind the arrowed plate (sorry for bad wording and thanks!)
sketch-1544545769419.jpg

IMAG2613.jpg
IMAG2612.jpg

Yours is a different version to the one I posted. The photos show the circuit board and the internal wiring, but not the wiring coming in from outside of the boiler. Where does the white cable from the blanking plate and the existing thermostat wire go?

Good point... Appears to go to this black box! And then out again the wires on the left of the pcb. To Ext seems like it might be the one but I've never seen these wire terminators/couplers before. Also not overly apparent if I can get in the black box, has screws underneath but also those white plastic rivet style bits in the pic... Typical that this isn't in the manual lol!
IMAG2619.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2623.jpg
    IMAG2623.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG2620.jpg
    IMAG2620.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 130
  • IMAG2622.jpg
    IMAG2622.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG2621.jpg
    IMAG2621.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 125
Thanks very helpful I have only seen one of these types of boiler once before. The cables enter here as you have worked out.

Capture.JPG

It opens up and the external wiring is terminated inside...

gg.JPG

....and connected so.

new.JPG

The voltage free contacts are 0v and 24v if you do have your room thermostat wired to 24v they should be the terminals it is presently connected to (Ignore the Ebus in the centre)

So we are back to:
The Hive Single Channel version (1) 'Common' and (3) 'Heating On' connect to the two terminals marked "voltage free heating controls connection"

If you want a link to the manual with these details in you can find it here.

Thanks stem that's super helpful! Doesn't look like much room around it to access it to open it up mind... May have to try the screws at the bottom and see if can prise the plastic rivets off!?

Hi stem, this is what it looks like inside the box, not labelled unfortunately, at you saying ignore the bus as in it isn't used or ignore as in leave it in place (as there is a wire in it currently!)

Attachments

• IMAG2625.jpg
    IMAG2625.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 156
That is the boilers internal wiring, there will be a wire in the Ebus connection on that side in case someone wants to connect to it for its intended purpose!

The terminals we are interested in are those that connect to the outside world, the external wiring. ie the mains supply and the thermostat

They look like this. Note the cables at the bottom under the strain relief, that come from the mains supply and room thermostat:

gg.JPG

That was the key, thanks so much stem for sticking with me! Pushed the plastic rivets off and screws undone then did the Russian dolls three layers to get at the wires. Cut a kettle lead in half and ran the LN and E as it was there in one run, and then the other half to replace the thermostat. Had to cut various chunks of the plate to let the cables fit so I could close the hive receiver but managed to put everything back together again (one screw left over... typical) with glowworms stupidly complicated interface box instead of just the external connection the instruction manual implied lol... But it is now connected up and I have full remote control of my heating!

So thanks again :)

Attachments

• IMAG2628.jpg
    IMAG2628.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 274

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back