Replace Danfoss RX1 with Hive Heating and Hot Water V2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Firstly...I realise that I should really use the Hive Heating only, but as I got the Hive Heating and Hot water for £95, and having read other posts on here, I believe that if your boiler uses 230-240V then it will work.

Boiler : Gloworm 38CXi combi
https://www.glow-worm.co.uk/glow-worm/cxi-range-157150.pdf (image 1 for electrical connection)

Controller : Danfoss RX1
http://www.uk-plumbing.com/brochure/danfoss/RXuser.pdf (image 2 for electrical connection)

Current wiring : mains are the bottom two, boiler are the top two (image 3 for actual in-situ wiring, image 4 for the back for the rx1)

I haven't opened the pack for the Hive Heating and Hot Water V2 as I can sell it on sealed if it doesnt work.

Hive
https://bucketeer-e9a3f077-0ec6-47c...e4814c29090d238fade7bc06030aa03cff2d99738.pdf

So, a couple of questions

1) will this work? (I believe yes)
2) How should I wire it? Obviously need to turn off mains supply first, but believe then only need to move the brown wire (wired as zone 1 on the RX1 or 3) to the Heating on (4) of the Hive? Actually, I think I can may be able to reuse the wiring loom as it looks similar from the hive wiring diagram in image 5.

Attachments

• Gloworm38cxielectrical.jpg
    Gloworm38cxielectrical.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 691
  • Danfossrx1.jpg
    Danfossrx1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 903
  • Danfossrx1wiring.jpg
    Danfossrx1wiring.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 674
  • Danfossrx1back.jpg
    Danfossrx1back.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 761
  • hivev2.jpg
    hivev2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looking at the photos you have provided the thermostat connections are likely to be made to the volt free connections to the boiler, if this is the case connecting the hive will destroy the boilers PCB, the 2 channel hive can only be connected to the mains voltage input on your boiler. Of course the proper solution is to purchase the correct product for the task, the single channel Hive.

Thanks! Damn, really? The thing is.. we may want to go to a replacement boiler / tank system in the next year. I thought..perhaps wrongly, that this would work as it's only 2 connectors and that it's 240v input. You're right though, if it's the zero I out then it's not going to work...Anyone else? I need to return it tomorrow (or sell on) ...£95 pre-postage anyone!

You can check the wiring in the boiler, and convert it to mains signal if needed, you provided a link to the boilers wiring instructions telling you how to connect a mains signal!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back