Hoarders

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
Any hoarders on here ? Seems a lot of people are called hoarders, one such person was in the news recently, with his "hoard" being put up for sale after his death. The stuff was auctioned off last week, and watching the auction, it seemed to me he had an eye for a good thing, but sadly he didn't benefit from his collecting. I managed to get one of the lots, well chuffed.

Sponsored Links
If I die and my wife sells my hoard of vintage mobile phones for what I told her I paid for them, someone will be getting a bargain! :LOL:

Yeah. 1-5 hording and I'm a level 3 I think.. Level 5 is packed full with goat trails (ways through) and my garage is a level 5 then stacked high.
Gee I need to do something about it..

my mate is a serious horder lives in the sticks

he has got in excess of 40 cars in his garden , well cars call em wrecks tbh

sheds and garages filled to the brim with car parts

def has a problem in that respect

Sponsored Links
I've moved so many times in my life that I learn not to hoard. If it's not used in a couple of years, not sentimental or valuable, down the charity shop it goes.
I live with a hoarder/collector. Drives me insane - this attitude of keeping everything just in case it's useful or worth something one day isn't great. I tend to have a big chuck out when I can no longer shut cupboards etc when he's not looking. :LOL:

my mate is a serious horder lives in the sticks

he has got in excess of 40 cars in his garden , well cars call em wrecks tbh

sheds and garages filled to the brim with car parts

def has a problem in that respect

Bloke who lived two doors from me , when I was a kid. New houses in '73.
As long as I can recall, he didn't do a regular job. Mostly just hung around outside, smoked, and passed on his wisdom to anyone who'd listen. And did a bit of car mechanics on his drive.
Only when I was older did I actually talk with him, rather than be talked to. But, that's my failing.
Nice bloke., died of lung cancer a couple of years ago.
His sons (who I grew up with) said, when clearing out his stuff, they'd counted seventeen Honda Goldwings, all runners, in the garage, garden sheds, and a friend's yard who used to look after a few acquisitions.
Old Land Rover roofs and stuff, piled up. £200 a roof they told me ; dozens of them.
Cars they had the keys for, but had no idea where he'd left them.
That's hoarding.

I use to be a hoarder but have recently adopted a rule, if I have not touched it for a year I probably don’t need it. Obviously that does not go for everything photo albums etc but it has allowed me to get rid of a lot of useless stuff.

In my line of work, I have seen about three "real" hoarders, what happens is there is a leak somewhere, an Insurance claim is made and the claim proceeds.

In one severe case on a narrow housing estate road we had a skip pick up and drop off every hour, that went on for two days, the "removal cost" was not far of £ 8,000

Ken.

Some sort of mental illness

I thought I heard it can be triggered by grief.

triggered by grief.

Yes, in two of the really severe cases I have been involved with one of the Partners had passed.

In one case the person could be best described as being confused, and overwhelmed by social media being totally fixated on many, many what I would consider very extreme opinions, which a vulnerable person could / was completely driven by, despite attempted interventions by Social Services who attended on a daily basis, really. really Scary.

Any conversation was a total minefield.

Ken.

When does collecting become hoarding ? You may have a stamp collector who has several albums containing thousands of stamps, or a coin collector who has several thousand coins. These items will not take up much space, but someone may collect gramophone's, or radios, or televisions. Get a few hundred of those and they start calling you a hoarder. People collect all sorts, stamps, Barbie dolls, beer cans, you can collect anything, it's just some things have an intrinsic value in its composition, coins may be silver or gold, whether they are collectable or not. If someone has a house full of what anyone else would call junk, then if it gives them peace of mind/happiness, and it hurts no one else, why are they derided ?

Being an ex firefighter I attended a Fire in a large Victorian House , every room was filled with Newspapers and magazines, ceiling high, there were walk ways inbetween the columns of newspapers to allow access to other rooms Un believable

I collect books, or maybe I'm a hoarder of books. It seems a sacrilege to throw away a book.

I'm a slight hoarder, but my rule is absolutely not it the living rooms. My garage, hut, workshop and electronics working areas are jammed with tools, equipment, test gear and parts which might be needed 'some day'. I have a stack of internet routers, three laser printers, around a dozen of the more expensive watches I have bought since I started work, 5x laptops, 4x desktops - all working, in what I call my 'office'/ little bedroom. It has two filing cabinets, which store all the manuals for various equipment, all the utility bills, house deeds, car documents and etc..

Utility/pantry has to do double duty as a utility room and wine an beer brewing room. I try to limit the small items to just one wall cupboard in the utility, with the big 25L fermentation vessels stored in the 12 x 16 garden hut when not actually in use. Tractor/mower lives under a lean-to roof I built onto back of summer house, which is where I keep odd bits of plumbing pipes, larger lengths of timber, planks, sand and gravel, long single ladder, short single ladder, very long double extension ladder.

The hut stores strimmer, chain saw, mobility scooter (which might come in one day), dozens of spades shovels, axes, sledge hammers, oil paints, decorating tools and four pairs of steps of various sizes, Workmate and Christmas tree. Top cupboards of full width (massive) built-in wardrobe, stores Christmas trimmings, suitcases, spare toaster, electric kettle, two spare coffee making machines.

Airing cupboard has a spare 3-port actuator (ready to fit, should present one fail), a full set of old controls for heating system, just in case my all singing system should fail, plus a box of candles in case of power cut, bought 40 years ago. Under-stairs cupboard has a Kirby Heritage, with full tool kit and hardly used at all, it was bought and it turned out to be just too heavy for regular use; a normal lighter upright, a wet and dry battery vac, then a Henry in the garage.

Is that hoarding, or just being prepared?

Sponsored Links
Back