Hoax call

Wasting Police time might be bad but interrupting the Fireman's game of snooker doesn't bear thinking about.

And if it had been at night they might have even been woken up.

A bit harsh joe-90 when 3 or 4 have just been killed attending a fire. OK, they might have lots of spare time, but when the chips are down these guys have to be ready for anything!

Sponsored Links
They also have what is statistically one of the safest jobs in the UK. BTW, only one of them was a 'real' fireman. Compare that with the risk of people who use the roads a lot such as truck driver, taxi drivers and reps and you will see who faces the real risk.

They also have what is statistically one of the safest jobs in the UK. BTW, only one of them was a 'real' fireman. Compare that with the risk of people who use the roads a lot such as truck driver, taxi drivers and reps and you will see who faces the real risk.

I stand corrected!

But how many of them risk themselves to help someone else?
Risking yourself on the road for financial gain is one thing, risking your life to save someone else is another.

Sponsored Links
So the two who were pretending to be firemen didn't die the same sort of death as the "real" fireman.

You really are a banker.

But how many of them risk themselves to help someone else?
Risking yourself on the road for financial gain is one thing, risking your life to save someone else is another.

Are you saying that they didn't get any financial gain? I didn't realise that they were unpaid volunteers untarnished by personal greed.

So the two who were pretending to be firemen didn't die the same sort of death as the "real" fireman.

You really are a banker.

Maybe someone should have pointed out when they joined that it was unlikely they would ever get killed but was a remote possibility.

Joe

A friend of mine was a fireman. We all recall the day he came home from work and picked up his two young daughters and sat hugging them for a very long time.

He had been to a house fire and taken the bodies of two young children out of a room.

So please keep your ignorant and callous comments to yourself in future.

In my opinion firemen are overpaid and under worked. In most countries they double as paramedics whereas here they double as painters and decorators.

Good job your opinion don't count for jack s**t then really isn't it :rolleyes:

Why don't you try and double as a human being - Just for a change!

Good job your opinion don't count for jack s**t then really isn't it :rolleyes:

Why don't you try and double as a human being - Just for a change!

My opinion is the same value as yours - zilch.

joe-90 said:
In my opinion firemen are overpaid and under worked.
My own view of firemen's pay is that part of it is for being on standby, i.e. ready to attend in an emergency, and the rest is danger money. I'm grateful that they're prepared to do a job that a great many of us aren't, and whilst I'm reasonably careful and unlikely to be involved in a fire at home, I still like the feeling of knowing that the service is available to be called upon.

In most countries they double as paramedics whereas here they double as painters and decorators.
Since what they do in their spare time is irrelevant, can you explain how better use can be made of the time that they spend on standby?

There was an interesting discussion on Radio 2 this afternoon about the French emergency healthcare system and the merits of Fire and Rescue responding to non-critical emergencies (criticality being established by the telephone operator :eek: ).

General consensus was ... Let them stick to fire and rescue.

I'm with Softy boy on this one, if the Fire service only respond to emergencies for even 30% of the time they are being paid that's great value for money IMO.

I doubt Joe would feel the same if his house was on fire and his family were trapped inside.

Besides, once they'd put out the fire, they could make good the damage ... Lick of paint, bit of wallpaper :LOL:

MW

Day time "spare time" is training, fire hydrant inspection, equipment maintainance, fire prevention activity, fire victim ongoing support, to name but a few of the essential background support activity.

Sponsored Links
Back