Holes in Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
22mm tubes going through a solid 9" brick wall. 30mm holes drilled- strapped a spirit level to the drill & a square to the wall so they're straight and level for a change.
Question- is that 4mm gap going to give me annoying rattles and creaks when thermal expansion kicks in (the 2 tubes are feed and return to the radiators) or am i stressing about nothing, it'll be fine.
Ta

Sponsored Links
A large washer, loose on the shank of the drill, will show level. It will run down or up the bit as you work, going downhill by gravity.

You could usefully sleeve the holes with plastic pipe or conduit. It will prevent chafing and, being smooth and slick, pipes rubbing on it will be silent.

Secure it to the wall (not the pipes) with builders' adhesive if you want.

Felt can also be wrapped round pipes to prevent creaking (common in joists)

You should always sleeve holes for cables, BTW, to prevent them chafing on the brickwork.

Mmm, that was my first thought (sleeving). Nearest tube i had to hand was 32mm solvent weld so ripped a strip out of that so it would fit the 30mm hole, its a tight fit & doesn't form a proper circle so the 22 is tight in it.
The 15mm tubes through the wall go lovely in some 20-odd mm solvent weld tube i found
EDIT top tip on the washer, i'll try that next time :)

Sleeve it with 28mm copper or old 1". Scrap yard might have some rather than buying 3m.
I've attended several leaks over the years where copper pipe has been run through walls and the brickwork has worn a hole through it from poor installation.

Sponsored Links
Sleeve it with 28mm copper or old 1". Scrap yard might have some rather than buying 3m.
I've attended several leaks over the years where copper pipe has been run through walls and the brickwork has worn a hole through it from poor installation.
I did wonder about sleeving it with 28, got some scrap bits from a failed bend. Certainly would protect it but wouldn't help with any vibration issues (pump is one side of the wall with a short leg going through the wall).

Couple of Top Bodges I have come up with :) ;
25mm placcie conduit couplers are a decent fit (once you mill out the centre ridge) but they are hard pvc so might still give me rattles.
If I can find a local pvc tape manufacturer i'll be laughing, the centres are perfect size & material.

But i think what i'll probably do tomorrow is open the holes up so i can use some 32 id as sleeving & still have an air gap. Wall isn't decorated or in view either side so not a massive drama. Ta for the top tips :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back